Making Fabric Stronger for Purses

Ways to make fabric stronger for handmade purses. Post your own tips here.

Different Lining Ideas

The purse could be lined with fabric, or craft foam, or iron on interfacing could be ironed on to the fabric pieces before you sew them together. If the purse has a flat bottom, a piece of cardboard could be cut to fit, and fabric glued around it.

By Jean

Use Interfacing

There are different types of interfacing on the market, ones that stick ones that you sew. I would talk to someone in the fabric store and they should have a good idea what would work for your specific needs.

By Michawn

Try A Purse Form

If you intend to wash your purse after you've completed it, try a purse form, like "magic purse form", or make one out of plastic canvas, so it will be removeable. Some interfacings will gum up your sewing machine. Bacrum (sp) is a lining that is used for heavy duty draperies, and that would work also. Best to ask questions in your local fabric store.

By lisa

Use A Thick Fabric That Can Hold Up To Heavy Usage

Be aware that if the fabric isn's sturdy, no matter what you line it with, it will not hold up to wear-and-tear on the outside, especially if the purse will be used a lot. If it's an evening purse that won't get much use, a thinner (lined) fabric will work great. I only bring this up because after going through all that work, it's discouraging when something simply doesn't work or falls apart.

By susan

Quilting for Strength

You could try quilting your fabric.

By Deborah Jones

Use Upholstery Fabric or Other ideas

Upholstery fabric. However, most fabric purses I have seen are quilted or made from wool sweaters.

By pam froelich

Line With Fuseable Interfacing

I use a fuseable interfacing on both the lining and the outer fabric. This lets you use almost any fabric, but the bigger the bag, the heavier the interface and filling you'll need to get it to stand alone.

By Kathleen

Expert Advice

I make and sell purses and tote bags. If your fabric is washable, do wash it then dry it without fabric softener. This will make any fusible interlining hold better. If your fabric is very light, I would recommend fusing another plain fabric to the wrong side to give it some stability, and using a sew-in interfacing that has good body (To fuse the two pieces of fabrics together use fusible web.

If you don't know what it is, ask at the fabric store. There are instructions that come with the fusible web). I use plastic canvas for the bottoms of my bags. I make a separate "sleeve" of the lining fabric to put it in, then just set it in the bottom of the purse. I hope this has been of some help to you. Fusible interfacings are good to use as well. I hope this has been of some help to you.

By Judy