Healthy EatingFood Tips

Adding Nutrition to Meals

Tips for adding extra nutrition to meals. Post your ideas.

Use vegetables in soups and in breads for added nutrition. Also try fruits.
I also put fruits in a blender to use in breads, cupcakes and smoothies. Add a little juice or water if needed. Enjoy

By Sandi G

When you cook or bake you can add some wheat germ... some nutritional yeast...also you can add some wheat bran for fibre in foods like soups, meatloaf, etc.

I tried adding blenderized zucchini to a meat loaf and no one was fooled as the seeds floated to the top of the meatloaf after baking.

In addition to wheatgerm in soups, you can add it to spagetti sauce. I've even added it to egg salad so I'm sure it would work in chicken, tuna, and salmon salads. It could be added to salmon croquettes too.

I also add Flax Seed Meal to a lot of stuff. That is supposed to be a cholesterol lowering product. I sprinkle it on salads, put in meatloaf, sauces, etc. It doesn't seem to affect the taste and you don't really notice any particular texture change.

Stir a couple of tablespoons of cottage cheese into that container of yogurt for additonal calcium.

-------------
I wrote 'meatloaf', but I should have typed in 'lasagna'!
It's one of those days!

Grate some vegetables such as carrots as thinly as possible, and stir these into the mixture for items such as spaghetti sauce, meatloaf, etc. Great for finicky eaters!

Make gravy, and when it is boiling, stir in the peelings from carrots and potatoes. Strain the gravy afterwards. Gives the gravy an extra kick and the vitamins from the peelings are absorbed into the gravy!

In addition to adding wheat germ and flax seed meal when I cook and bake, I also add instant oatmeal. My family also puts all three of these on our cereal plus dried mixed fruit, dried cranberries, raisins, and any other dried fruit that we might discover and buy. It is really quite good and nutritious!

I add frozen vegetables of all types to lots of different things. The easiest is to put them in ramen noodles: I crush up the noodles while in the package, put in a bowl/cup, pour enough water to cover and put the frozen vegs on top, then put in the microwave for couple of minutes until everything is hot and then stir in the mix. Also add frozen vegs to my frozen meals like michelina's-there are never enough in them. Alnd to canned soups. Lots of places to add them and you can use just the amount you want.