AdviceCleaning

Copier Ink on 3-Ring Binders

I have several plastic 3-ring binders that have been stained with copier toner that comes off the printed page facing the inside covers. Is there any cleaner that will take this off the plastic?

By Melody Cone from Clovis, NM

I would first try plain rubbing alcohol, then if that doesn't work use Fingernail Polish Remover... Look for the kind that does NOT say "for artificial nails". You want the regular kind (it's Acetone). Try this in a little area first, some products can "melt" plastic.

Have you tried the Mr. Clean white sponge? It is great for most anything, so maybe you can try that see if it works on the ink.

A spritz of WD-40 has worked for me on occasion to get inks off binders.

I tried all three. Polish remover didn't work and neither did Mr. Clean sponge by itself, but WD-40 with Mr. Clean sponge did work.

Spray WD-40 to cover entire area. Let sit for about a minute then use Mr. Clean sponge in a circular motion. Old toner or ink with a little pressure came right off.

While it won't help now I offer the following suggestion. I use a clear transparency sheet in front of the inked cover sheet. When I need to change out the notebook, if the ink did stick, it was to the transparency sheet that could be thrown away without having to pitch the whole notebook. This saves money in the long run since binders can be expensive.