AdviceDogs

Dog Peeing Problem

I have an 8 month old MALE German Shorthair puppy. He is a big dog in size yet still has the heart of a puppy. I have never had this problem with a dog before. I crate trained him from day one and he has had a few "deliberate" accidents in the home. I am blessed to have flexible work hours and am able to do much of it at home so I spend a lot of time with him.

During the day he can go in and out of the house as needed. He has responded to hand signals and verbal requests since about 12 weeks of age and learns new things very quickly. The one thing he does is to pee either while standing still or walking. He does not raise his leg or squat while doing this. He just goes. It is almost as if he does not realize that he is doing this. He is a very loving animal and checks in often to give hugs and kisses.

Last night while getting his hug he urinated on me and his blanket. It was a while before I even noticed. He hikes when taken outside or on walks so I am confused as to whether he is marking or if he just does it when he is excited. My husband of course is not very happy with this and I do not want the dog to be banned from the house so any advice or suggestions I will be very grateful to receive. Thank you so much.

By paula from MO