Whitening a Yellowed Wedding Dress

Stored wedding dresses often yellow over time. This is a guide about whitening a yellowed wedding dress.

I made a dress for my daughter to wear in a wedding 16 years ago, and now we would like to use it again, but it has yellowed. I can't remember if the fabric is washable or not - I have had it dry-cleaned. Are there specialty dry cleaners? Or can I do something myself?

Best Answer

Try gently washing it with Oxi Clean or the generic, in a large basin or very clean bath tub. Depending on whether you used beads or sequins, be very careful not to wring or agitate it. I have had great results with these products on my grandfathers christening and baby clothes.

My white silk chiffon wedding dress turned yellow. I sent it to the dry cleaner and the stain got darker and spread out all over it. I tried a lot of things to clean it, till finally I tried white vinegar, it works, but not 100%, it's still yellow.

I'm desperate. Any kind advice?
Thank you.

I would contact the store where the wedding dress was purchased or if it is handmade, contact the seamstress. Inquire about the nature of the material the dress was made of, cleaning instructions. We have a lady in our city that designs, makes wedding gowns and collects laces from all over the world; you could check your local wedding dress stores for information.

Sometimes if it doesn't come clean dying it ivory might work. Or champagne color might also work. Again check with a reputable cleaner.

Soak in bathtub with napisan overnight then rinse thoroughly I did this with my 50 year old wedding dress and it worked

How do I whiten a wedding dress that is 30 years old and made of a light weight voile?

By Mary Ellen

Spray paint. Just kidding. Don't do it yourself though. This isn't one of those things you want to do on your own. Take it to a professional. I don't mean a dry cleaner. Go to an actual nice bridal boutique. They might charge you more than a dry cleaner but bridal gowns are what they deal with everyday.

I say go to a nice bridal boutique because I suspect the average ones might just send it to a random dry cleaner themselves where as a nicer boutique might have a cleaner that specializes in cleaning/dying bridal gowns.

Good luck!

It maybe that the voile has 'turned', causing the discolouration.

Voile used to be made of 100% cotton but about 40 years ago some of the manufacturers started blending the cotton with linen OR polyester (still cleanable but harder to do if polyester content was higher than the natural fiber count), and now a lot of what is sold as voile is made in China of all polyester, which yellows over time and is next to impossible to keep 'white'.

The best thing to do is take it to the best dry cleaner in town and ask them what they think they can do about it. Look for a dry cleaner that advertises their expertise with vintage fabrics (key words, lol, but seriously), and check with the Better Business Bureau to see if there have been complaints before trusting anyone with a vintage, heirloom gown.

A good dry cleaner claiming to have expert knowledge of restoring vintage fabrics will know how to safely determine the fiber content of your gown, and if it is possible, how to restore it to the perfect white it originally was 30 years ago.

Well I had mine preserved Proff. And just unpacked from its pretty lifetime gold box and lace is yellow!!

It's been almost 35 yrs! My sons fiancé is wanted to display at wedding. Any suggestions?

Can satin brocade be whitened after 50 years of storage? It has yellowed quite a lot.

By Mar

My wedding gown is 43 years old and has yellowed. Is there any hope to clean it? I would like to donate it.

By Deborah from Snellville, GA