Reuse Your Dehumidifier's Water

I've always hated to throw away the water I accumulate daily in my dehumidifier. I water outdoor plants with it. I'm sure my neighbors think I have a strange watering can, but I think this is the best way to recycle this free water.

By Elaine from Concord, NH

I have empty watercans out side & if I collect more water out dehumidifier. I pour in empty cans then take water & pour on flowers, doesn't waste any. I like that helps hands better if you have arthritis... "Cookie'

The "heck" with your neighbors - I think you "doing good".

I read once in Mother Earth News that if your dish washing liquid doesn't have phosphorous in it you can water the plants with it. Perhaps till this awful drought is over, or to just be frugal, you can wash your dishes in a tub. The article said the plants love the bits of food too.

If you use a dehumidifier, the water that is collected from that can be used to water plants.

By Cindy from Bath, PA

Answers:

Reuse Your Dehumidifier's Water

I have also used it for my table top fountains, irons, laundry, car radiators. Reading some of the other reviews as the water being slimy and ick, well it should be getting dumped many times through the day. If one's not dumping at least 2 times, they probably don't need it running. Do you have any idea how much water you can purchase compared to the cost of running a dehumidifier, somewhere around 27-48 dollars a month. That's almost a three month water bill in most parts of the country. It should be treated like your pets bowls - rinse and wash frequently for your own heath. And it should never sit there, the moisture will leach back into the "dried air", a costly cycle. Not to mention the heat they throw off. (07/08/2010)

By Cindy j Dornon

Some people need to run a dehumidifier in their house. Don't dump the water down the drain when it is time to empty it. I save my water in a covered tall container (covered clean garbage can will do) and reuse that water to water all plants summer and winter. You would be surprised to see how much you can save, and my plants have never looked better.

By Pat M. from Milwaukee, WI

When the weather starts to warm, I start my dehumidifier. When the catch tank is full, I use the water for my plants. I am conserving water as well as keeping my monthly bill down.

By Betty from Coxs Creek, KY

Answers:

Reuse Your Dehumidifier's Water

I would be VERY careful about that water. My booklet that came along with my humidifier said that the water should be considered toxic and to be disposed of properly. It even said to wash your hands after emptying the container.

I don't know if I would use it on my plants, especially if you are using it on a garden. (08/13/2008)

By Paula

The humidity will be rising soon and we all should be getting out our dehumidifiers. Here's a great way to save water. We have a birdbath in our back yard.

Better Living Green Living Conservation WaterAugust 2, 2010
🐛
🌻
😷
📓
😎
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf17234858.tip.html