KitchenHome Improvement

Choosing a New Kitchen Sink

I am planning on getting new granite counter tops, however I'm torn which type of sink I should get: stainless steel, porcelain, or Corian. I think they all have their downside, especially staining. Any suggestions or comments would be helpful.

By Rose from Malvern, PA

Stainless steel is the best. I've had several kind, good luck.

I've had the porcelain over cast iron kind and they scratch and stain....eventually the shiney finish on the bottom is worn and dull. I have a stainless steel sink now and am very happy with it. It's quite easy to take care of and always looks nice. I couldn't give an opinion on other types of sinks as I've only had 2 kinds in my married life. My mother in law switched from stainless to granite but can't say I like it much. Seems to really attract grease and stains.

I've had stainless steel sinks before and would never have one again. They leave awful water spots and streaks, and need to be dry wiped after every use. I suppose if you don't live in a hard water area, this wouldn't matter, but for AZ and TX, it matters. Porcelain scratches, but nothing is forever.

I would never have anything but a quality stainless steel sink. Water spots are not a problem for me. In new higher end houses I have seen many stainless steel sinks set in granite countertops.

I just had my kitchen remodeled and have granite counters and back splash and had a granite sink put in also. Love it! Before I had stainless steel and it was very hard to keep shinny and cleaned.

Have never seen a granite sink. Isn't it too heavy.

It depends on how and who uses the kitchen. For me, I like stainless steel because I am a "kitchen person". A good quality stainless steel sink is the way to go. It can take abuse and is easy to clean. I would just wipe the surrounding area after I was done "kitchen duty". I never had problems with spotting and I have hard water.

I had porcelain sinks and I do like the looks of them but I had to be more careful using them, chipping, marking, staining, etc. I kept a sink protector on the bottom. I was glad I had one after my kids moved out. I think if they were at home, somehow someone would have chipped the sink.

I am not familiar with Corian sinks but have heard many good things about them. Good luck and have fun in the kitchen!

A lot depends on the style you want. Cast iron is better in an old house where you're trying to keep the charm, but it does stain. If you're going with stainless appliances, it is nice to have the sink match. If you go stainless, get a good quality one and it will perform better. (the lower the gauge, the better the material).