Cheaper Instant Oatmeal

Make your own premixed oatmeal using baggies. The pre-packaged is 34 cents a pack. The homemade is 19 cents! Use half cup of rolled oats with 2 teaspoons of powdered milk, 1 tablespoon of brown sugar, and one half teaspoon of cinnamon mix together put in bag. When ready to use add three fourths water or milk. Microwave for 30 to 40 seconds and mix. Then add honey, fruit, nuts or whatever you like!

By coville123 from Brockville

I make my own much the same way but I make a lot when I do so it saves me from getting all the measuring tools out. I am not sure where my recipe came from. Might have been on here but I have eliminated the powdered milk because powdered milk is more expensive than liquid milk.

My recipe is 5 cups long cooking oatmeal (you can use the quick if you like but I like the chewiness of the long cooking). I add 1/2 cup brown sugar and at least a cup of dried cranberries or any dried fruit of your choice. The original recipe called for 3 tablespoons of powdered milk but as I said I have eliminated that in my recipe since I use milk with it after it is cooked. I use a scant 1 cup water and add 1/2 cup oatmeal and microwave for 2 minutes on high.