PastasRecipes

Recipe For Creamy Macaroni And Cheese

Looking for an easy no-fail creamy macaroni and cheese recipe. The one I have is ok just not as creamy as I would like. Will you share yours?

Onesummer

Our favorite for years.

2 cups elbow macaroni, uncooked

1/4 cup butter or margarine

1/4 cup all purpose flour

1/4 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. ground black pepper

2 1/2 cups milk

2 cups (8 0z.) shredded cheese

Cook pasta according to directions and drain. In a large saucepan over medium heat melt butter. Blend in flour, salt, and pepper then gradually stir in milk. Cook, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens and mixture begins to boil. Add cheese and stir until cheese is melted. Stir drained pasta and cheese sauce together. You can eat it this way or put it in a casserole and bake 30 minutes at 350. You can top the casserole with crushed potato chips or buttered bread crumbs. Enjoy!!! Makes 4-6 servings

I don't have my recipe handy, but at the risk of sounding flippant, there's nothing like a big shot of heavy cream to make just about any food, well....creamy. Seriously, if your "just okay" recipe calls for milk, try replacing part of it with cream.

I always put a can of cream of mushroom soup in mine. Everyone loves it, sometimes I add tuna and peas also

I learned an old way of making good mac & cheese from my mom. I boil my water, and add salt, then my mac. Then only 1/2 cook the mac noodles. Over cooked mac is gross. Then drain, turn down the fire, add the margarine, milk, and LOTS I mean extra cheese. For 2 pound of mac, I add at least a pound of cheese, with milk and margarine.

The secret is keeping it "soupy", and not overcooking the mac in the beginning. When I finish with the mac to turn it off, it is really soupy with the margarine, milk and cheese. Not runny, you want it like a potato soup consistency. Taste it, make sure it is cheesy enough, and enough salt. Then take off the burner, and put a lid on it. It will soak up, and be a super creamy mac & cheese. All my teens, and new son in law love it. When they come home, it's always requested.

a mom.

In my opinion, the easiest way to make creamy mac and cheese is to use Velveeta Cheese. Dice it up and stir it into the HOT macaroni, then add milk a little at a time until you get a creamy consistency. If necessary, reheat after adding the milk.

Harlean from Arkansas