Cleaning Eyeglasses

First of all, you have to determine what kind of lens you have in your glasses. If they are glass and do not have a no-glare coating they can be cleaned with just about anything that you would use on a water glass. However, putting them in the dishwasher might mess up the frame! Then they can be polished dry with a cloth or a paper towel.

If they are plastic (lexan or one of the other plastics) it is best to just clean them with water and polish dry with a very soft cloth. Do not use paper! Paper will eventually scratch the plastic.

If they have a special no-glare coating it is best to consult with the optometrist who made them and follow her instructions exactly.

It is not a good idea to cheap out on cleaning something that may have cost you over $300!

Source: Have worn prescription glasses for 60 years.

By DeBushe from Gilroy, CA

Anonymous

I've been an optician for 30 years and the only time I use alcohol on eyeglass lenses is to get hairspray off. Alcohol used on a regular basis can break down some coatings. Particularly those with a non glare coating.

Either use the recommended cleaner from your optician or use mild soapy water and a cleaning cloth (those found for glasses or cleaning electronic devices like Iphones and computer screens). Vinegar and water seem to be fine also- just dilute the vinegar.

I do not suggest drying your eyeglasses with paper towel. I have scratched my lens in the past using that method. Just use a soft dishtowel.

Here is my fool-proof solution for any type of lenses (even coated ones):
1.) Fill a clean spray bottle 7/8 full of filtered water (Zero water pitcher is what I use but Brita water will work too).

2.) Add unscented Witch Hazel until nearly full.
3.) Add 1-2 drops of good quality Baby Shampoo/body wash.
4.) Cap the bottle and gently swirl to mix.
5.) ALWAY SPRAY YOUR LENSES TO WET THEM FIRST. Wipe your glasses with a clean micro-fiber cloth until dry.