StylingHair Tips

Perfect Ponytail Tips

I have long thick hair and whenever I put it in a pony tail everything looks good accept the part under my ponytail. There's always a big lump there. I try brushing it up tight and I try clipping it up, but nothing seems to work. Does anybody have a suggestion for me?

By Erica from Eau Claire, WI

You could try making a ponytail with your hair flipped upside down - usually this makes it better, and adds more volume. Also try tying the band more tightly, so that the hair on the underside, doesn't slip out, from the loose band. Hope this helps.

I too have long, thick hair, when I put mine into a pony tail I bend over at the waist, brush my hair into a pony tail holding it into my other hand; then put in the band around it (with the other hand) that will be holding it in place. Good luck!

The skin at the bottom of your head must have some 'give' in order for you to move your head from side-to-side and up-and-down. This is what causes that "bump" of hair; it is perfectly normal. Everyone that wears a ponytail has it. The growth pattern of one's hair might make someone's a bit more pronounced than another's. It is a waste if energy to worry about something you can do nothing about. I'm sure it bothers you, but no one else will notice it.

I have long hair and a part on top of my my head that separates the hair, it won't go away. I want to be able to put my hair into a perfect ponytail, but my part line never goes away. How can I make it go away?

Jitterbug from Oneonta, AL

Answers:

Perfect Ponytail Tips

Well, parts are a natural part of our hair. However, you could try a good firm hair gel on both sides of the part (and on the part itself) then comb it straight toward the ponytail, allowing the gel to set/dry after the ponytail is in place. It's certainly worth a try. Also, when your hair is wet (after shampoo), try using the gel in the natural part area. Hope this helps. (01/23/2006)

By Luvyabye

Perfect Ponytail Tips

You could also try backcombing or "teasing" the hair on the part. Just backcomb the 1/2 inch of hair closest to your head. Then just smooth over while putting your hair in a pony tail. It may take a few tries before you get the hang of it. (01/24/2006)

By Fran Marie

Perfect Ponytail Tips

Since my hair has grown longer, I find that if I do a ponytail with the top half of my hair pulled back I can then make a ponytail the regular way incorporating that one with it and then pulling the ponytail holder out of the top one. Once I comb the tail then both halves come together without a part. Hope this helps. (01/25/2006)

By craigandnay

Perfect Ponytail Tips

When you are putting your hair back in a ponytail just take a brush and stroke it over your part. Hair will cover the part up and it will not be visible. (12/17/2006)

By Lindsey

Perfect Ponytail Tips

You should train your hair. After you shower, while your hair is still damp and pliable, "flip" your hair by bending over and brush out your part as best you can while bent over. Still bent over, tie your hair in a tight, high ponytail. It will probably be messy. You can sleep in it or just wear it around the house. Do this over the course of a few days. Hopefully, it will get easier and easier until it is "trained" to do it.

Hope this helps. (06/19/2007)

By JulleyBug