Keep Flag From Fraying

We like to fly our American flag 24 hours a day, and living where the wind blows almost non-stop we go through a lot of flags. My father told me this secret to saving them. Before flying her the first time, sew packaging string or other heavy cord around the edges rolling it up several times; this will keep the wind from whipping it quite so fast.

Our flag flies at our dock as we live on the tip of a peninsula on a lake in the center of Nebraska and all around use our point as a beacon for we have our flag lit 24 hours a day. Thanks Dad. Be a proud American; fly Old Glory proudly!

By Ann W. craftingtales.com from Loup City, NE

Wonderful idea, Ann! :-)

I am confused about the "rolling it up several times." Do you mean that you lay the cord on the edge of the flag fabric then roll the fabric around the cord to encase it and then stitch it down? Or is it something else. Thanks.

Like Melody, I'm a little confused concerning the details but I still love the tip. Brings back memories of the flagpole we used to have in front of our suburban Indianapolis home when I was very young.

Like your article. We fly flags at our driveway 24/7 then on holidays we add others down our long driveway. We live out in the country, we have lots of wind also.

I just keep buying flags & will continue flying them proudly. My husband is a Vietnam Vet & when we put them out he always stands at attention. Not knowing that I have noticed.

Better Living Frugal Living TipsMay 23, 2011
🎄
🍂
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf18957715.tip.html