Making a Faux Cake

contest winner icon

I recently discovered that newspaper can make a great pulp to make faux foods. I've been wanting a faux cake to display on a cake platter. To create this piece, shred a few sections of black/white newspaper (not the shiny ads), and soak in hot water for about an hour.

Then place a small amount of shredded paper in a blender with two cups of water and blend until smooth. If paper is not blending well, add more water. Blend for about 30-60 seconds.

Pour mixture into a metal strainer and press until pulp will hold a shape on it's own.

Once you have enough pulp for your project, add 3 tablespoons of salt and 3 tablespoons of white glue to the pulp and stir well. The salt helps to prevent the paper from spoiling while it is drying and the glue helps to hold things together.

Spray the pan/mold with a non-stick cooking spray and press the pulp onto the sides of a pan/mold so that the edges are about 1/4-1/2 inch thick. Set the mold in front of a fan for several hours a day until the mold is dry. This could take a day or two to dry or as long as a week depending on size of mold and thickness of pulp. Once it is dry to the touch, flex the mold slightly in your hands until the paper mold pops out of the pan.

If it does not come out, it probably needs to dry more. Once dry, project can be primed and painted. If you want a matte look, don't seal it or seal it with a matte sealer.

Decorate as you like. In this case I used a talcum powder to look like powdered sugar. You could also use baking soda or a craft paint to make it look like frosting.

By Dottie B. from Pennellville, NY

By Tedebear (Guest Post)

Dottie, this is great!

By (Guest Post)

I love it, this is a wonderful idea!! Thank you so much, I can't wait to try it!!!

Dottie, you're the bomb, as my kids would say!!! What a wonderful idea...and it looks so real!!! Thanx for sharing this technique:)

Looks good enough to eat!!! Bravo ! GG Vi

Cool idea! Looks like fun and thank you for the
details. Thank You!

Annie

By Mary (Guest Post)

Looks good enough to eat.

I also saw a Food Channel special about using a plastics with a mold to recreate any kind of food, but it is a long process.

That cake looks good enough to eat.

Dottie! You're not far from me! I'm in Baldwinsville, NY... we're distant neighbors. LOL ..

This is a great idea! I love it ... and it looks SO good! :-)

Hugs,
Dee

Thanks everyone...Howdy neighbor Dee...small world sometimes isn't it?

I just love this idea, as an empty cake plate looks so lonely. And a full one - well, come to think of it, they don't stay full long! That's the problem!

By Sally D (Guest Post)

I made the faux cake it it came out GREAT!!
Everyone thinks it's real!!

By ashley_t (Guest Post)

Thats pretty cool! If you don't have time you could always buy premade.

I've user http://www.FauxBakery.com in the past for a party I had last year and EVERYONE thought that the stuff was real!

Have a question........can I put this in the oven to dry?

Can I put this in the oven (low heat) to dry?