MiscellaneousCleaning

Cleaning Ostrich Feathers

Category Miscellaneous

I purchased 6 ostrich feathers, they are beautiful, but I quit smoking and would like to get them clean and bright again. Is there any way I can clean them? I have had them for 5 years and they are mostly white (kinda, lol).

Thank you in advance.

80di from Bow Island Alberta, Canada

By crystal (Guest Post)

I think you can just wash them with shampoo. I'd try it on one first just in case but I know this is the recommended way to clean my ostrich feather duster. While wet, it looks terrible but once it dries, it fluffs back up. Or you can dry it with the blow dryer for more fluffiness.

Here's a link for cleaning an ostrich feather duster, which is MEANT to get dirty. I've followed these directions, and it works marvelously - really fluffs them out, too!

http://flylady.  s/FlyDuster1.asp

Hope it helps you, too!

Sandy

By Ruth Counter (Guest Post)

You can get the smoke smell out. Just gently swish feathers in tepid water with a little mild soap. Gently swish to rinse in clear water, and swish to rinse again with clear water with a little baking soda stirred in.

Rinse/swish again gently careful not to break the little feathers. Air dry or partially dry with hairdryer on low or hang upside down til dry and fluff with a hairdryer to soften.I wash and dry my down comforters and they turn out very fresh. Remember, ostriches are waterproof.

Thanks for the baking soda tip! I have cleaned a variety of feather types but, this is my first time doing ostrich...and I have almost 200 taken from old Mardi Gras parade costumes.