Sewing Machine Recommendation

My daughter wants to make her own clothing and I want to get a her a sewing machine for her birthday. Any sewers out there have any recommendations of what sewing machine to get her and reasonably inexpensive way to get one? Thanks, Carol.

You may want to see if www.freecycle.org is up and running close to where you live. If there is one near you or that you would be willing to drive to the area that has one-- you can ask for a free sewing machine. www.freecycle.org has people asking for, and giving away things all the time. If there isn't one close to you --you can start one.

There may also be a thirft store in your area where you could post a want ad for a sewing machine.

By karen. (Guest Post)

I recently bought a almost new sewing machine at a thrift store. The only problem, the cord and foot feed was lost during a move, so got it for 10.00.

I checked with the manufacture and was able to purchase a new cord and foot feed for 40.00.

You might keep your eyes out at garage sales. Sometimes if you ask, they also would sell you a sewing machine reasonable

By Allison (Guest Post)

I just bought a sewing machine last week and had looked at a Kenmore and a White both on sale for about $100. Both were very basic with straight and zig zag stitches. My stepmom recommended the White. She had one for 30 years that she loved. The white is also metal and the Kenmore is plastic.

I bought the White and I'm loving it. I also do very basic sewing so I don't need much. But make sure you decide first whether or not you want a machine in a cabinet, in a built in case or free-standing (no case).

Mine is the latter and I love the flexibility since I don't have a room for sewing or space for a cabinet model. I can use it on the kitchen table where the best light is and put it aside during dinner.

But I would check around for older models as suggested above. I've had some great machines that were about 1950's-1960's. Very reliable. I got our vacuum years ago used at a vacuum/sewing repair place. Maybe they have used sewing machines for a bargain price.

Good luck.

By Barb (Guest Post)

I have an old Singer that I dearly love. Whatever kind you get, make sure that it has a button holer. She might not need it right away, but it really comes in handy later. Sewing machine & vacuum repair shops usually have a good selection of used ones, and they have just been serviced too. Otherwise, I would recommend Wal-mart for a new one. Good luck! Barb

By Lois (Guest Post)

Go to your local sewing machine repair shop...they have machines people trade in or don't pick up after the repairs have been done...I recommend an older machine to the new Plastic machines. These will do the job but for the same price to get an older well made one from a repair shop or a sewing machine dealer.

Lois

By Tawnda (Guest Post)

Also, check your newspaper or place an ad in the freebies papers under the want ads. I am not sure if you have the Nickel Saver there, but you can place any item for sale up to $500 value items I believe and you can place want ads for free. I think you have to renew it each week, but its free. They are usually a free paper you can pick up in front of grocery stores, gas stations and restaurants by the real estate booklets. You would be amazed at how many people use these. You may even find someone trying to sell a machine in there.

Look for estate sales. Many decades ago, no self respecting woman would be caught without a sewing machine, or 2, or 3 , or a half dozen. And she would rather die than part with her sewing machines.

Every estate sale I have been to has had at least one, usually many. These days most estate sales are just garage sales run directly from the home of the deceased. Most are "make an offer", or priced at garage sale prices. I routinely see expensive machines in excellent condition for 20 to 50 dollars.

By (Guest Post)

Hi there. How old is she? I bought a Janome 140M for my daughter who is 8 and it's perfect for learning on. They do a "Hello Kitty" version in Target if you are in the USA!

I'd suggest a Singer 120 stitch sewing machine which is easy to use and costs around $200. You can find it on Amazon.com.

If you are looking for more ideas, then check the http://www.sewi … hinereviewer.com for reviews and recommendations...

I suggest to get a Singer. We are a Singer family. My grand mother & mother had Singers. I've always had one. I've worn out several doing sewing for the family & others. The last one I got has buttons to touch, very easy to use. I got it on sale. I'm very proud of it, good luck.

At the local sewing center, where they repair machines and take them in trade, they can steer you to the best used models they have in stock. These have been repaired and reconditioned and are generally an excellent bargain. On her recommendation, I got a 10 year old Kenmore for $100 that has been a real bargain - ask for the mechanical not the electronic models because they last longer and are easier to repair. Unfortunately, the salesperson told me, some of the old, well-known names are now made cheaply.

I have had a PFAFF for over 35 years. They are jam proof & last forever, great machines. Like the other person said, you could try the sewing center & buy a used & reconditioned one. I had a 1222E for about 30 years & gave it to a friend & got an electronic one. New they are expensive, but my old one is still going strong for my friend. Never was in the shop once.When I researched machines, I found out that PFAFF can b used by anyone & not break or jam. I had young kids. I wanted them to b able to use it & I didn't want to worry about my machine...great, great machines!