Cleaning Wax Poured Down a Drain

Category Plumbing
If melted candle type wax is accidentally poured down one of your drains there are a couple of common approaches to resolving this problem. One is to dismantle the plumbing or you can try hot water, vinegar, and perhaps the addition of baking soda. This is a guide about cleaning wax poured down a drain.

One of our kids did a NO-NO and was playing around with a candle. The "excess" wax was poured down the bathroom drain. ARGH! The house is a rental, pipes are 70's vintage PVC. What can I do to remove the wax?

HELP!

Aardvark from VA

Answers

Best Answer

I personally wouldn't pour Boiling water down the drain, try a few ice cubes and ice cold water. that will make the wax hard. chances are it is sitting in the "P" trap (bent pipe under the sink) undo the P shaped pipe and take out the cold wax. chances are there is enough soap residue around the inside of the pipe that it hasn't STUCK on it. use some plumbers tape around the treads of the pipe and screw it back together, if not sure how to disconnect and reconnect the pipe, go to your local library and get a how to book on home repair. its not hard and can save you a lot of money! Good Luck!

By jaxi3. (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I believe I would try a combination of baking soda and vinegar, which sets of a chemical reaction that will heat up. Then flush with hot water. You may have to do this a few times, but, I think short of taking apart the pipes, this might be a good idea.

Good Luck

By Carol Churchill (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Pour down the drain:
one cup bicarbonate of soda
one cup white vinegar
one kettle boiling water, in that sequence.
Success guaranteed!

Best Answer

I heated vinegar and baking soda brought to a boil, poured it into the candle wax which had seeped inside the kitchen sink drain with no relief previously from ice and snake attempts. I then followed by pouring boiled water, followed by some more bolied vinegar and baking soda, again bolied water then with wire hsnger continued to move it insid the drain. Did this several times. RESOLVED! I have a free flowing water drainage drain!

Best Answer

This method did work. I really only had to do it once to clear the drain, but I did it twice to be sure - it's been 12 hours since I gave this method a try and the drain is still clog free.

I like that this was a simple fix and didn't cost much or anything really since I already had the ingredients in my house. Thank you for your tip!