Fixing a Sweating Toilet

Category Plumbing
Determining why your tank is wet will help you get to the root of the problem. This guide is about fixing a sweating toilet.

Does anyone know what to do to fix a sweating toilet tank, other than getting an insulated one?

By niteagle77 from East Hampton, NY

Answers

http://www.ehow  toilet-tank.html

This isn't in anyway a solution, as I never knew there was one till I read some of the replies! I just put a rubber backed bath mat on the floor behind the toilet and under the tank. I have tiled floors, but it keeps me from having a mess to clean up! I just throw the mat in the washer once a week.

How can I stop a toilet tank from sweating? I have a towel on the floor now.

Sandy from Mountain View, AR

Answers

You may want to read these links
http://www.ehow  toilet-tank.html
http://www.fact  ToiletSweats.htm

~Dawn
http://frugalforlife.com

I had that problem and it was the flapper had a very small raise in it and didn't seal. Once I replaced it, never had it happen again. The water ran through constantly. Now, I keep a spare flapper in the house.

How do I stop my toilet from sweating? It sweats so much that it leaves water all around the toilet.

Christina from Tilbury, Ontario

Answers:

Sweating Toilet

There are several things you can do. You can buy a kit, or as I did, make one yourself. Take some thick Styrofoam cut it to fit inside the toilet tank and glue it to the inside of the tank. Be careful the foam does not interfere with the working of the toilet.

Or you can buy a kit to do the same thing. A problem with the kit is you don't get enough Styrofoam and the glue that comes with the kit may be already hardened. You can also have a plumber install a heating devise to warm the tank water. The reason the tank sweats is the same as a glass of ice water sweats on a warm day. The water in the tank is cool and the outside of the tank is warm so the moisture in the air condenses on the out side of the tank. (01/25/2009)

By Harry

Sweating Toilet

The insulation kit as described by others works well, and the fuzzy covers are also helpful if you need more. The other advantage of the insulation is that it makes your tank a bit smaller, and so uses a bit less water per flush. (01/28/2009)

By louel53

I have a toilet that sweats and drips on my carpet. How do I get rid of the mildew smell?

Sheila from Flint, Michigan

Answers:

Sweating Toilet

If you have mildew on carpet spray it with spray disinfectant, it should kill it. (03/28/2007)

By pamphyila

Sweating Toilet

We purchased a tray that connects with wires to catch the sweat from the tank. But each toilet brand has their own tray. The one we got was a different brand than our toilet and I couldn't find the receipt to return it. So $12 was shot to heck. (03/28/2007)

By Ariela

Sweating Toilet

There is an insulation kit that is available at Lowes for sweaty toilets. It isn't too very expensive and it is supposed to take care of sweaty toilets. I think it's styrofoam sheets and you install it in the tank. Hope this helps. (03/28/2007)

By Margie

Sweating Toilet

You can make your own insulator for your toilet tank. My husband made a "blanket" for the inside of ours. He got some Darice Foamies Sheets, sold in the craft departments, that have the peel and stick backs. He then emptied the tank of the toilet, and cut the foamies to size. Be sure to do all sides and bottom of the tank. It works great. Cost here in Georgia, about $3. (03/29/2007)

By Jean in GA

Sweating Toilet

I have read a lot of answers, but no one has suggested simply cleaning the flapper valve that expells yor water at the bottom of your tank. It will build up scum and will not seal properly therefore you will get water contantly passing through. Your water will always be cold inside your tank and the warm air around the outside of your tank will form condensate on your tank and run down on your floor. This was my problem and it saved me from buying parts that I did not need

(09/12/2007)

By Colin

I would like to know what i can do to get the back of the toilet tank from sweating. It is always sweating and the water drips down on the floor. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thank You,
Kate

Answers:

Sweating Toilet Tank

Have a handyman install a mixer to the pipe leading to the tank. this will add a small amount (adjustable) of warm water to the cold water input and your tank won't sweat. (04/06/2005)

By alobarbear

Sweating Toilet Tank

I had this situation during an especially cold winter years ago.
The Dept. of Agri. Extension Svc. agent told me to wrap the tank in a decorative thick type of fuzzy cloth to keep it from sweating onto the floor.
I spoke to her after the worst of the weather was over and can't recall if it worked.

Holly (04/06/2005)

By cookwie

Sweating Toilet Tank

There is a tray (the size of the bottom of the tank) available. It hooks in place and catches any water. Check with Plumbing supply places. They'll know what you need. (04/07/2005)

By mairmie