Tomatoes Until December!

Cover your tomato plants with newspaper in the fall and they will survive the frosty nights. You will be able to pick tomatoes until December!

By Dee

Hi, another way of keeping tomatoes till Dec. is to pick them all before it frosts. Take them inside and place in boxes, place the tomatoes in layers with newspaper between each layer.

Check them every few days to pick out the ripe ones. We've done this. It worked beautifully.

Dee,

If you mention the zone you live in ...

If I, living in zone 3, were to try to pick my tomatoes in December off of the tomato plants that would be in the garden...I would be picking frozen tomatoes off a plant that might have 6 to 12 inches of snow on it. Here in zone 3, I am doing good to have tomatoes in the garden yet in the middle to end of September.

Just like "badwater" I take my tomatoes inside. I have some large peat planters, which I place in the corner of the kitchen and fill with tomatoes. They need to be able to ripen in a warm area and have air circulation, just as if they were in the garden. When I have had a lot of trouble with blight and disease on the plants I have washed the green tomatoes with a mild bleach/water solution to clean the tomatoes so the bacteria are no longer before I put them in boxes or containers to ripen.

In Somerset, UK, I still have 3 tomato plants in my unheated but enclosed rear porch - also 1 Pepita cucumber plant. The fruits are slowly ripening.

All the outdoor and greenhouse tomatoes got late blight several weeks ago. I have planted Maris Peer in the greenhouse and they are shooting - perhaps new potatoes for Xmas?