Making and Using Roasted Garlic

What do you do with roasted garlic and how do you roast it? I have a lot from the garden this summer, more that I can use in cooking.

By Judy from Oelwein, IA

Preheat the oven to 400°F. Peel away the outer layers of the garlic , leaving the skins of the individual cloves intact. Using a knife, cut off 1/4 to a 1/2 inch of the top of cloves, exposing the individual cloves of garlic. Place the garlic heads in a baking pan. Drizzle a couple teaspoons of oil over each head (olive oil works best), using your fingers to make sure the garlic head is well coated. Cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the cloves feel soft when pressed.

Garlic you can use for everything, Roasted garlic is good mixed with plain cream cheese and its good mixed with sour cream for bake potatoes. Roasted garlic is good for making fettuccine Alfredo (combined roasted garlic, cream, or plain cream cheese, parm cheese and corn starch mixed with COLD water to thicken if needed. Add spices)

Roasted garlic is great to add into spaghetti.

Christmas is almost here and garlic can be put in a lot of the side dishes, as well as when its time to either throw out the left overs or do something with them, make a soup or stew. Garlic will add great taste to any soup or stew.

croutons are easy to make to!

Preheat oven to 300°F. 2 you will need roasted or not roasted garlic cloves as long as there minced, roasted seems easier for me.&frac; cup of butter, melted. 3 slices of bread, cut into half-inch cubes.

In a bowl, mix the garlic and the melted butter. Add the cubes of bread; then stir gently to coat. Place the bread on a baking sheet in one layer. Bake, turning once, until golden on all sides (takes about 15 minutes). There so good with ceaser salad.

Hi, Judy. I just posted this in yesterday's ThriftyFun Recipes. It is what I do when I have too much garlic

http://www.thri  8371310.tip.html

There also a great article by Ellen about freezing garlic, which might be another good option for your excess garlic.

http://www.thri  9794422.tip.html

Good luck!

Jess, do wrap the ones in foil that you roast for an hour, or just lay them on a cookie sheet?

Laniegirl - I wrap them in foil, that way they sort of steam as they roast. They get very soft.