Free Kitchen Storage Containers

I live in the "backwoods" of Montana. In June of 2011, we had very heavy rainfall that resulted in my kitchen ceiling leaking. I was trying to figure out how to keep my pantry dry and thought about the old fashioned 1 gallon glass jars. I took a trip in to my local grocery store to see if I could get some at the deli.

I ended up with 1 Gallon plastic salad dressing containers. They work awesome for storing sugar, flour, cornmeal, baking mix, macaroni, cereal, rolled oats, dried milk, crackers, trail mix; you name it. They have a base of about 8 inches square, they have a pretty blue screw on lid and a very convenient handle on the side. I tore off the label and made my own for the outside. If there is a recipe that is on the outside of the bag (cornbread or biscuits, etc.), I simply cut it off of the bag, stick it in a baggie, and tuck it in with the baking mix or cornmeal.

Another added benefit of these containers is that I can see at a glance what I am almost out of when I make out my grocery list. I then bring home my groceries, open the packages, and dump them into the proper container.

The only mistake I made was telling everyone in the Deli what I use them for and now the ladies are taking them home themselves. These awesome containers are being thrown away on a daily basis by any restaurant or deli that uses salad dressing. I didn't spend a dime :)

By Linny from Roundup, MT

I did this too when I worked 4 a deli years ago. Also had big spice jars that they put in trash weekly - great idea!

*That is a great tip. Even the frosted kind like you can get pickles and mayo/mustard out of are good. You can simply write on what is inside with a felt marker.

Another idea is to keep the ones that other foods come in, which I like better because they are squared.

Coffee containers, esp' the kind with an actual handle, are perfect. I also use pickle, mayo, relish and other jars for food, vitamins, and even the cake topper for yarn.

My philosophy is "reuse it or refuse it".

We get white buckets at our local deli that have mayo, salad dressing, etc. in and use them as planters outside. They usually have a stack of them in the shop and you can help yourself.

They would make good storage containers also since they come with lids, just have to wash them good and air out to get rid of the food odor.

Food and Recipes StorageMarch 20, 2012
😎
🌻
🐛
📓