Lawn MowersMachines

Troubleshooting a Riding Mower That Won't Start

My 17.5 Yard Machine won't start. The seat sensor and battery checked fine. When turning the starter, nothing happens, not even a click. The back wheels are also locked, even in neutral, I believe due to the safety features. Any tips on how to start it? It was working fine the other day.

By Bill

I have a Troy Bilt riding mower. I ran into the mailbox with the lever used to raise and lower the deck. I pulled it into the driveway to check and make sure everything was OK. After I turned it off it will no longer try to turnover when I try to start it back up. I think it's a cable or something got knocked loose for engaging the deck. Can anyone confirm that and/or tell me where to look for this to fix it?

By Matt from NC

Answers:

Call a shop that specializes in small engine repair and explain to them the problems you are having with your riding mower. You might have to take it to a shop to have it fixed. (10/10/2010)

By MCW

I have a Yard Machine riding lawn mower. I was mowing a few weeks ago and ran out of gas. I put more in and it will not start. I have tried pulling carburetor and cleaning it. It has a new spark plug and the filter is good. I had it apart and I do have fire and I am getting fuel to plug. I'm stumped, it spins without trying to start.

By rdoyle from Bushnell, FL

Answers:

Just wondering if you replaced the solenoid? (08/06/2010)

By carnation037

Have you tested all your safety switches? (09/15/2010)

By revravyid

We have a riding lawnmower and have replaced the battery, solenoid and starter. It still sill not start. It clicks when the key is turned, but the engine will not engage. We checked all the wiring. Any ideas?

By Kent171