Break Up Ramen Noodles

Does everyone like long stringy Ramen noodles? I don't, so I pulverize them (before cooking) in a plastic baggy (no spill) by smushing them with a glass-pint canning jar filled with whatever. After cooking, they are very easy to eat with a spoon - no ridiculous and complicated "twinings" on a fork; leave that to native Italians. Carpenters needn't waste valuable time during our very short lunch periods.

By Chuck from OH

I must agree with you Chuck. I like my spaghetti left long since we have it for dinner in the evening, but ramen is a lunch special at our house, and I always break it up pretty good too. It's much better broken up for little children to eat with a spoon. I cook a can or package of frozen vegetables with butter, and cook the ramen separately, then add them together. I don't use the seasoning packet at all but save it for seasoning meats.

I can't remember ever seeing anyone eating ramen without its being all broken up, so we're not alone. ;-)

Suziq9

Great tip! Thumbs up!

Anonymous

I actually like twirling my noodles so to each their own but your tip is a good one for spoon lovers! BTW, Ramen noodles aren't Italian; they were created between the Chinese and Japanese and are made with a different recipe so you'll have to blame them.

;-)

Why waste time taking them out of the package first? I used to just crunch'em up right in the package. They are easy to break even with your hands.

I'm half-Japanese, and grew up with ramen. To me (and my family) it's crazy to eat ramen with a spoon. I use chop sticks, and there is no twirling involved. :-) My daughter is learning, but I make sure she has a fork, in case she's having too much trouble. Once the noodles are all sucked up, drink the liquid straight from the bowl/cup. Absolutely normal (not rude) in our household.