AdviceDogs

German Shepherd Not Eating

My 16 week old German Shepherd Olga won't eat she just lays around. I've changed her food recently and she threw it back up. I went back to the old brand and she still will not eat. I love my baby, she's getting skinny. She has a vet appointment tomorrow afternoon. What else can I do for her?

Summer from Moreno Valley, CA

See if you can get an earlier appointment. She needs to go now.

Get her to the vet asap most vets will work out a payment plan if a emergency appointment is needed. Also, shepherds have very sensitive stomachs and do not tolerate some commercial foods. A better grade of food, formulated for the specific breed might be a better choice. I hope that everything works out for you and your new friend.

Is she drinking water? That's important. When switching foods, take at least 2 weeks to switch. Always feed a GOOD food, and consider a diet with raw meat, vegetables and fruits ALONG WITH VITAMINS AND SUPPLEMENTS. Get her to the Vet!

You need to get your dog to the doctor as soon as possible. If she is getting skinny it means she is sick. My doberman stopped eating, and I waited too long to bring her because she was always a finicky eater. Turns out she had cancer, and with medicines we managed to keep her alive another two years. If your dog is losing weight to the point that she is getting 'skinny' that means she is sick.

I raise Boxers, so after the mother whelps her litter she usually don't want to eat, which is the most important time for her to eat. What I do is make a type of gravy out of chicken or beef bouillon. Just boil it in some water let it cool to warm and mix it up with the food (so the puppy doesn't just lick off the top). You could also try mixing wet puppy food in with her dry food.

The vet will check her out and if nothing is wrong with her, probably tell you she will eat when she is hungry. This has always worked for my girls. Hope it helps.

Don't wait when your dog is not eating, especially is she is throwing up. She needs to be seen by the vet immediately. It could be an obstruction, etc. Don't take the advice of anyone but her vet if you love her.

Go to the vet. I have heard green tripe is wonderful. Dogs love it and it helps heal them.