What Breed Is My Dog? (German Shepherd Mix)

Many pet owners have mixed breed dogs. Knowing the mix is not only interesting, but can be helpful in understanding your dog's behavior and by giving you an insight into potential health issues. This is a guide about, "What breed is my dog?" (German Shepherd mix).

Does anyone have any idea what mix my puppy is? The animal shelter said she is a German Shepherd mix, but they were not sure what her mix is. Any feedback would be great! Thanks!

Erika from El Paso, TX

Answers

It's a German shepherd mix, but I don't know the actual breed. Please try to help me. Someone told me that he is a street dog.

When I bought my dog it said she was an Alaskan Husky, German Shepherd, Alaskan Malamute mix. Is this true? Here's a picture.

Kira from On., Canada

Answers

Definitely has German Shepherd in her.

Seems to be a good description. Whatever she is, she's a beautiful dog.

Awww she's adorable!
She is definitely a German Shepherd cross. She's beautiful whatever she is!

Monique
Somerset, UK

One day, she'll look VERY Shephard. Give her bread and lightly cooked ground meats/pork, with veggies and garlic salt....no vitamins/minerals after she's gained weight. Consider worming her if she cannot gain. She has a dear expression. : )

Well I dont think it is mixed with Alaskan Malamute but it definatly has a LOT of German shepard in it. Here is a German Shepherd/Alaskan Malamute mix. This one does not look like yours very much. Hope this helps.

I would say certainly gsd and husky, but she doesnt exhibit any malamute attributes. She looks like she has a very sweet temperament, regardless. Does she like to climb, escape your boundaries, if so that is a good indication she has a little husky in her.!!

Hi! Your dog looks strangely like mine! The petshop where I bought her told me that she was a siberian husky mix. But I don't know with what other breed she could be mixed! I know her mom was a siberian husky. Do you have any idea of the other breed? She is 8 months, weights about 40 pounds and is 20 inches tall. Her ears are sometimes floppy, sometimes straight. It depends.

My male puppy Levi looks like both of yours guys dogs! We got him from the pound and they also said he was a German Shepherd husky mix. So my family and I have been trying to figure out what he really is. He has more German Shepherd coloring then anything and body build but his face is different looking! He is a good dog! ^__^

I have a husky/Shepard mix and she is beautiful! Every time I walk her, people ask what she is and tell her how pretty she is, I would have to agree. Zoe is a very sweet dog! But she does get a bit growly in the evening when she wants to be left alone or around her food! This is a pic of her and my 2 dachshunds, Gaby & Nuts.

Help me figure out the breed of my dog please! I rescued Kody from a shelter in March of 2007 and his paperwork said he was about 1 year old and German Shepherd mix. Since then, people have told me he looks like he has some Husky, Malinois, or Chow (because of the spots on his tongue) mixed in. Many people say that he can't be purebred German Shepherd because he is too small.

He is 60 lbs with light-medium brown eyes, soft fur, and a straight tail. He has a white undercoat and sheds a ton. He is super smart, protective, very friendly, not overly energetic, somewhat vocal but doesn't bark too much, very sweet and playful.

I'd love to hear any thoughts about his breed. I am just so curious, but I don't have the money to do a dna test. Kody is my best friend and I love him more than I can even explain. =)

This picture (from Jan 2008) and is the best profile shot I have of Kody, but keep in mind that my boyfriend is standing behind him (boyfriend = 6'1") and Kody's back legs are bent (usually his back is straight across, not slanted downward).

Megan from Hayward, CA

Answers

I cannot tell you what breed he is but I used to have a dog that very much like him. The dog I had had a curved tail and a very thick neck. He was all red, however. He was also very territorial and protective. I am sure he was a mutt but he was the smartest dog I ever owned. It is hard to believe but I taught him to "talk"....just one sentence and it was "I want some" when I was feeding him a treat. I cried for a year after he was gone, never had been so close to a dog before and haven't been since. He did have a bad fault, however. If he got off his leash, he was gone and only came back home when he was ready. For that reason, I had to give him away.

Looks like an Alsation
(German Shepherd type dog - just smaller - I think!)
it could possibly have some lab in it.
Regardless, hes a beauty....and obviously well loved!

Your pic made me laugh. It looks like your dog's taking a leak!

That aside, he's a good looking dog; definitely a LOT of german shep in him, probably about 3/4. There may also be some Belgian Malinois in there. They look very similar to a Shep but are a bit more on the lean/thinner side than most Sheps.

The dog really doesn't look like a Chow. Black spots are nothing more than a birthmark. Without seeing a few full standing photos; it's hard to say more. Your dog may also simply show much more of some genes than others. For example, when most breeds mix with a Dobi; they RARELY look like the Dobi at all...unless you look for close signs like a narrower head than you'd otherwise expect or more agile.

You might want to look at his diet if he isn't energetic. He should be getting a good hour of brisk exercise or more everyday.

I think the people at the shelter were right. To me, he looks like a German Shepherd MIX. Warm regards, Carol

i agree, he is a german shep. mix, he definetly looks it alot, but i dont think i would say fullblooded,"He has a white undercoat and sheds a ton. He is super smart, protective, very friendly, not overly energetic, somewhat vocal but doesn't bark too much, very sweet and playful" these all describe a german perfectly,he is definently not chow, people try to say that black spots are signs of chow blood but that is totally wrong they are just birthmarks, infact my purebreed,papered, german shep has dark spots all over his tounge.it is not unusual.i'm not to sure about the husky either,i think their characteristics tend to dominate,and he doesnt look it to me, maybe malinois.he is so very beautiful though.goodluck with your quest sorry i couldn't be more helpful.

megan. i couldnt tell you what breed he might be. but i have ally my mix breed and before her i had glory a mixed breed. i also loved them both more than explanation can allow. you have a lovely dog there.

Hi Megan - did you know they have DNA tests now that supposedly tell you the breed of your dog? I saw it on The Early Show news. Here is a site: http://www.vet-  -breed-test.html

@hedera: an Alsatian IS a German Shepherd. That name was invented during WWII to avoid calling them "German" - q.v. Salisbury Steak, Freedom Fries.
http://en.wikip  hepherd_Dog#Name (also note the solid black shepherd in the pic @wikipedia)

hello i just got a puppy today its 3/4 german shepherd and 1/4 husky. my puppy and your puppy have like the same facial features can u see that?

Carol my friend has the same exact dog he is a German Shepherd.

I was told my dog was a German Shepherd Chow mix, but I'm not sure. He has webbed feet. I was kinda thinking he could be Lab mix. I just don't see the German Shepherd. What do y'all think?

What is my German Shepherd mixed with? He is 12 weeks and 28 pounds. He has huge paws; the vet said he would be 100-125 lbs.

By Austin R.

What breed is my dog? She's 8 months old, 26 inches at the shoulders, and weighs about 60 lbs. I know she's a German Shepherd but I don't know what she's mixed with. Can somebody help? Thanks.

By hanni2 from Rasht, Iran

I'm just wondering if anyone knows what she (Jaz) might be mixed with? I see a lot of German Shepherd, but I just can't figure out anything else. She's 2 years old, very energetic, likes water, and is protective over my little one, also very loving and thinks she's a lap dog. She's about 50 pounds. Thanks!

By Alyssa S.

She is smaller, maybe about 50-60 lbs. Definitely has the personality, very smart, and very protective. She is chestnut with a black face and white on her chest.

By Melanie

Erika from El Paso, TX

Answers:

What Breed Is My Dog (German Shepard Mix)

I'm a long time dog owner and I would say Labrador and/or Border Collie.

Hope this helps!

P.S. Cute dog...thanks for adopting. (08/06/2007)

By Anonymous

What Breed Is My Dog (German Shepherd Mix)

Definitely part Labrador. I love that ear thing she's got going on! (08/07/2007)

By Beth

Not a Border Collie, but German Shepherd/Labrador. He'll be big! sweet eyes, nice pup! With time, the

down ear may get a little stronger. (08/07/2007)

By kimhis

I would say your puppy is Lab and Collie mix. I had one that looked just like yours some years ago and

that's what she was. (08/07/2007)

By candleglows

kelpie cross

I reckon it is a Kelpie cross. (09/17/2008)

By Dean

That puppy sure looks like he has some Lab in him. Does he have webbing between his toes? if so, he has

Lab, that's because they are swimmers. (09/25/2008)

By Sandy

My dog looks exactly like your dog around the same age, too, and my dog is a German Shepherd Blue Heeler

mix. (09/30/2008)

By Joseph

We have a Lab and German Shepherd mix and he looks exactly like that. Here is a picture of our puppy.

(10/12/2008)

By Amber L

If you know of a Petco in your area they do DNA testing too see the exact mix that your dog is. I am not

sure if all Petcos do this, but the Petcos out here in MN do DNA testing. They can also give you exact

amounts of the breeds if you really want to know. (10/27/2008)

By Mercedes

My puppy looks exactly like your puppy. The pound told me that she was a Lab mix, but from looking at

pictures online I figured out that she was a German shepherd Border Collie mix. (11/23/2008)

By Laura

Definitely a German Shepherd cross. Not a Kelpie. I raise and train Kelpies and and am a dog trainer.

This is def a Shepherd cross.
Peace.
(12/07/2008)

By Lisa

I just got the results from a canine breed DNA test: primary breed could not be determined, secondary

German shepherd, and "in the mix" Airedale and Bernese Mountain dog. I guess she's just a mutt!

Your dog is super cute. (12/27/2008)

By Jen V

It's a smooth coat Collie German shepherd mix I bet. Sorry to say this to all the other people who claim

it's a Lab/German Shepherd mix, but this dog is too handsome to be one. (01/03/2009)

By Kendra

My in-laws have a Border Collie/black Lab mix and he looks just like your dog! We have a Border collie/

German Shepherd mix and he also has your dogs features, but isn't black colored. (01/05/2009)

By Nikki

I heard that my puppy is Lab and German Shepherd and looks a lot like yours. (02/24/2009)

By sarah

How weird! It was almost like looking at mine own, do her ears flip inside out or cross in the middle

when she stands them up. My girl's mum is a Lab Doberman her dad is German shepherd. (09/13/2009)

By yvonne4777

Your dog and a few of the others on this page are Australian Kelpie with Lab mix. Google (images) the

breed online and you can see for yourself. (10/17/2009)

By Sniffette01

It's neat to see so many beautiful mixed breeds that look so much like my beautiful mixed breed. I think

my girl is a Border Collie/German Shepherd mix, but I also suspect she has some Doberman and a little

mule in her. (01/28/2010)

By foxress