What is a "moberly" room?

This is something that has puzzled me for 40 years. When I was in high school I read a book (can't remember the title or author) that was set in Victorian England. A room in a big mansion was described as a "moberly" room.Does anybody know what "moberly" is? It wasn't anybody's name. I can't find this word in any dictionary or online. Any ideas?

Curious Cat from South Norfolk, Virginia

I tried to search, rolled through ten pages of links, and all I got was Moberly Missouri.

Back in Victorian days, the maids wore MOB caps. I wonder if the room had anything to do with the servants??

I tried a little research as I like a challenge but to no avail. I couldn't find anything.
I used to stay in a manor house when I was young (my parents had the housekeepers cottage) as I recollect all the rooms had names. Sometimes named after people i.e.The Queen Anne room or after the colour of the room. Moberly could simply be named after someone.

This is going to drive me crazy now- I will keep on researching and let you know if i find anything. A 40 year old mystery must be put to bed!

Monique
Somerset, UK

Hello again! I just found in Wiki that in Old English, Moberly is "a fortified clearing in a forest where assemblies are held" So perhaps the room was where important assemblies for the dignified gentry of the day held discussions about important things - or such like !

I will keep on trying!
Monique

According to Wikipedia: Old English, "a fortified clearing in a forest where assemblies are held"

I contacted Dear Webby and this is what he had to say about a Moberly Room.

A moberly room is a furnished room, or sometimes a furniture storage room.
If it is called a Moberly, then it is a maid's room or a mother visiting room and has very basic facilities (sink, snack-fridge and hotplate).

I have a letter from you addressed to the Merriam-Webster dictionary company, asking just this question. Your letter does not include a street address or zip code number, so I'm
hazarding a guess here. Without the book's title or author, though, this information remains a guess. George Moberly and his son, Robert, were British theologians who lived during the Victorian era. Perhaps a "Moberly room" in a mansion was where a devout family held certain religious observances. If you remember the book, please let me know.