Research Silver and Silverplate Marks

Do you know that there are marks on the bottom of silver and silverplate items that tell you who made it and if it's sterling or silverplate? Did you know that all this information is on the internet if you do a google search for silverplate marks? It was fun finding out that my 'plate" thing was silverplate from a Connecticut firm which closed in 1939, and that my pitcher thing was English Sheffield Ware (Fenton Bros - date?)

By Pam from L.A., CA

Did you know that my vintage serving tray has no marks. Letters or insignia of any kind at all.. Did you know that the.high quality specialty antique based search engines I used have produced no trays with throw exact pattern as mine.. Did you know .... Oh wait that's all ... it's super heavy like 6 or 7 lb it has a pretty distinct pattern but I have found no match online or nothing to compare it to as no words it's silver but I don't know if it's silver plated or Sterling any ideas besides nitric acid that would be a last resort

Gold items have these marks, too

Consumer Advice Collectibles MiscellaneousOctober 26, 2010
🎄
🎉