How Do I Know if a Tray is Sterling Silver?

I really need to know how to tell if a piece is truly sterling or if it is just silver plated? I did the white cloth test and it did turn black. I read on line also that a magnet would not stick to sterling silver. Is that true? It is stamped with the #'s 05601 D4 23 and the words Reed and Barton and Regent and the elephant for the year 1952.

By Tangie from Springville, AL

Best Answer

All of the sterling silver I have ever seen has sterling engraved on it. This is a beautiful tray.

Best Answer

Sterling silver always (without exception) will be labeled with the word sterling so since yours does not include that, it is silver plated. Silver plate can wear off whereas sterling is solid (sterling knives have hollow centers). All silver tarnishes whether it is sterling or plated. As long as it looks good, enjoy using it. You just need to use a quality tarnish remover of some type. Outside of sneaking a look on the back of flat wear at friend's place, check whether sterling or not by sticking spoon in hot drink. The sterling will heat up rather rapidly.

Best Answer

Anything after approximately WWII will be stamped. Before then, metals weren't required to be labeled, according to the company that valued my great grandmother's silver for my insurance.

Anonymous

Not true. Other countries Use different markings.

I agree with Hate Litter, the tray is beautiful. My suggestion is to go to the Replacements, Ltd, out of Greensboro, NC, website and you can email them and send a photo of the tray. They will look it up for you and either call you or telephone you with what they find. I have done this many times and they are so nice to deal with.

I have lots of sterling silver pieces but also have some very beautiful and heavy silver plated pieces that I use right along side my sterling. As long as it looks good to me, I use it. Good luck!

Take it to a good jewerly store and they will tell you. If you want it appraised they will charge for that service.

Magnets will not stick to sterling, but they also do not stick to aluminum, pewter, tungsten, platinum, brass or copper as well as alloys of these.

I was watching show that was verifying antique sterling silver vs silver plate & the man said to sniff the tray. Sterling silver has a sweet smell but plate has a bad almost rancid smell up close.

If your tray also has a C encircling an A, that symbol began being used in 1945 and indicates it is silver plate over a Copper Alloy base metal.