Use Duvets to Pad Older Mattresses

My mum gave me this idea. I have 5 children and 4 of them were sleeping on hard mattresses where you could feel the springs. Over the years I have accumulated double duvets. Not sure if you call them the same in the US, perhaps divans? Any way the things you put covers on to sleep under, you know what I mean!


As I couldn't afford to replace the mattresses, my mum suggested I fold the double duvets in two and lay them over each mattress (in effect a nice thick mattress topper), then make the beds as usual. It has worked a treat, no expense, just used stuff I had stored in the roof . My kids all get a better night sleep now!

By Sarah from Somerset UK

Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!


Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 145 Feedbacks
March 4, 20090 found this helpful

Great idea! Any way that we can all save and make something last a little longer is priceless these days. Thanks for sharing!


Diamond Feedback Medal for All Time! 1,394 Feedbacks
March 4, 20090 found this helpful

Hi, Sarah.
Yes, duvets are called duvets in some areas of the US. We also call them comforters.
And I wish I'd thought to post this idea!


Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Better Living Frugal Living TipsMarch 3, 2009
Mother's Day Ideas!
Pest Control
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCoronavirusCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.
Desktop Page | View Mobile
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Generated 2024-04-11 21:19:21 in 3 secs. ⛅️️
© 1997-2024 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.