FurnitureFurniture

Antique Wood Table Darker on One End

I have an antique hall table, about 150 years old. It has some inlaid wood, some hand carving, possibly some machine turning in the legs. I am guessing it's middle class Victorian. Overall, it's in pretty good shape.

However, we moved it to a new location in the living room and now I'm noticing that the end that was previously nearest to the door is substantially darker where the inlaid wood occurs.

Any cleaning suggestions? I have no idea what it's made out of except to say that the piece is of very heavy, dark wood with lighter inlaid pieces.

Thanks,
Holly from Richardson, TX

By Lisa (Guest Post)

I wouldn't do a thing to this beautiful piece! Antiques are supposed to have that wonderful patina due to normal wear. Removing it would affect its provenance and probably lower its value.

A good furniture moisturizer you'd like to recommend? I am beginning to see the graining on the top, so it's time for a waxing of some sort.