CoolingHome Improvement

Maintaining Your Air Conditioner

I know an air conditioning unit needs regular servicing. The cost if over $100 and I was wondering if I could maybe clean the filters myself?

By fieke from Brisbane, AU

Most filters can be cleaned in the tub or shower, or outside with the hose, and reused. You can also buy replacement filters.
An airconditioner annual service though is much more than just cleaning filters, or at least it should be. The person should inspect the units to make sure everything is working properly---check the coils and fins on the outside, etc.
If all you got for $100 was filters cleaned, then you need to report that person to your consumer protection agency.

I hose mine out regularly and save the 100 dollar service fee. I only call a technician if I actually have trouble. My filter is metal around the outside of the unit in the back yard. I purchased reusable filters for the inside and they hose out also. I would say i have saved 700 dollars since I started this 7 years ago.

Take the filter and wash it in the kichen sink and let it dry out in the sun before re-installing IF it is made of material. OR brush off the lint excess lightly outside that is on the filter before reinstalling it, We have 5 indoor cats in a rather large home and I have been doing this very thing for years. I find it really saves on the cost of buying new filters so I only have to replace them with new once every 6 months.

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.