Product FinderConsumer Advice

Recommendations for Kitchen Timers

Can anyone recommend a loud kitchen timer that continues to sound until you cut it off? I bought a cheap timer at WalMart but it only sounds once and not loud enough to hear unless you're right in the room with it or fairly close buy. I tried setting the alarm on my cell phone but that's a hassle.

By txbetty from Lubbock, TX

I have the same problem. I can be up in my sewing room and not hear it at all.....solution? I bring the timer with me.

I don't know if there is one that will not shut off since they run on batteries.How about a nice large alarm clock....but that could be a hassle too since you would have to figure out what time to set it each time, but it would be loud. :)

I carry mine around with me as it doesn't ring loud enough, nor long enough!

Westbend & presto both make a really good timer with a clip on the back, so you can clip it to your clothes. They each have 3 different times in the single timer thing. They both have a clock on them too. I think I got the ones I have now from amazon. They also have a memory for the times, so when you use a certain time on the timer regularly, you don't have to keep putting in the time. I have a number of these. One alone I use for different times for watering the lawn. I have one over the kitchen sink for hard-boiling eggs. I use 3 different times for that. One for the whole time, one for when to turn down the heat & one for how long I need to run water on them after, & when you are not using the timers, you have to clock. But all the timers I have, ring for one minute, but with the clip, you can keep it on your person. These both ring pretty loud. Oh, on the individual timers, it beeps once for the #1 & two beeps for the #2 & three for the third, so you know which one is beeping. They are cool.

Anonymous

I also just carry mine with me amd since it's become a habit it doesn't feel like a hassle to worry about it anymore ;-)

If you are not too far away from the kitchen, you can substitute your microwave timer. I do that sometimes. Other times I take my manuel timer with me to another room. Both work.

Try this website:
www.MaxiAids.com
This is an online store specifically for visually, hearing and mobility-impaired people, but a lot of their items would be great for a non-impaired person.
Just go to the site and type "timers" into the search box. I'm sure you can find something useful in your price range.

Anonymous

Get a wind up bell clock the kind with the bells on top and a clacker, they are loud and will wake the neighbors, you are sure to hear it. When you go to turn off the " timer " you will be right there and able to remove your item from cooking, having the timer with you and delaying your return to the kitchen so that you can just "finish up" your project at hand there for possibly burning the item that you wanted to turn out so perfectly.

Either that or borrow a small child that likes to tattle, so when they hear the timer they wont leave your side after coming to tattle the timer is going off until you go to turn it off as they are taught not to touch the stove there for leaving it up to you to turn it off. I somewhat like that idea, lol