ColoringHair Tips

Can Changes in Hormones Affect Hair Dye Results?

Category Coloring

I had a hysterectomy in October, only have 1 ovary. Now when I dye my brown hair champagne blonde it turns a orange/red yellow shade. Not pretty at all.

How do I get it a nice shade of blonde or due to my hormones will it never take the way it did before? Should I just go back to brown? I do not have $$$ to go to a salon. My hair grows way too fast. I have been blonde on and off for 30 years. Thank you.

By wacky camper

I sincerely doubt that your hysterectomy affects the way your hair reacts to dye. I had a hysterectomy (both ovaries) and never had a problem and I color my hair but I stay somewhat close to my own color.

Maybe it's time to rethink the blond hair. If you have dark roots that's a lot of work to maintain. If your own hair is dark brown, try a light brown and see how you like that. It will probably be easier to maintain.

Hello. Yes, my doctor told me that it can affect you hair. Please go to a salon and have them do it for you. Take care.

Anonymous

Did your doctor put you on hormone therapy and/or have you started any other new medications? If that's the case then you'll need to use a good clarifying shampoo every time you shampoo to keep the RX chemicals that affect the hair shaft at bay.

I was a hairstylist for over thirty years and every single time there was a color change that shouldn't have occurred I asked the client if they were taking any new medications. 99% of the time that was indeed the case.

I used to have dark hair also but between the pool etc it stays a light brown and that has changed to the roots

I only had a partial hysterectomy, still have my ovaries, and for the past two years if I have my hair colored any brown shade my hair is an orange/red color as well. Its not the brand of dye, not the stylist, Ive tried several and all same results. Dont take medicines just vitamins. Anyone have the solution Id be interested as well.

I am having the same problem. I have a cool dark blonde naturally and I have been having female issues, thinking menopause. When I lighten my hair it turns to an orange/brass color.

I have been coloring my hair for over 30 years and never had this issue. I have NOT started any new medication. I am thinking hormones.