ColoringHair Tips

Can Changes in Hormones Affect Hair Dye Results?

Category Coloring

I had a hysterectomy in October, only have 1 ovary. Now when I dye my brown hair champagne blonde it turns a orange/red yellow shade. Not pretty at all.

How do I get it a nice shade of blonde or due to my hormones will it never take the way it did before? Should I just go back to brown? I do not have $$$ to go to a salon. My hair grows way too fast. I have been blonde on and off for 30 years. Thank you.

By Wacky Camper

I sincerely doubt that your hysterectomy affects the way your hair reacts to dye. I had a hysterectomy (both ovaries) and never had a problem and I color my hair but I stay somewhat close to my own color.

Maybe it's time to rethink the blond hair. If you have dark roots that's a lot of work to maintain. If your own hair is dark brown, try a light brown and see how you like that. It will probably be easier to maintain.

Hello. Yes, my doctor told me that it can affect you hair. Please go to a salon and have them do it for you. Take care.

Anonymous

Did your doctor put you on hormone therapy and/or have you started any other new medications? If that's the case then you'll need to use a good clarifying shampoo every time you shampoo to keep the RX chemicals that affect the hair shaft at bay. I was a hairstylist for over thirty years and every single time there was a color change that shouldn't have occurred I asked the client if they were taking any new medications. 99% of the time that was indeed the case.