Can Changes in Hormones Affect Hair Dye Results?

I had a hysterectomy in October, only have 1 ovary. Now when I dye my brown hair champagne blonde it turns a orange/red yellow shade. Not pretty at all.

How do I get it a nice shade of blonde or due to my hormones will it never take the way it did before? Should I just go back to brown? I do not have $$$ to go to a salon. My hair grows way too fast. I have been blonde on and off for 30 years. Thank you.

By wacky camper

I sincerely doubt that your hysterectomy affects the way your hair reacts to dye. I had a hysterectomy (both ovaries) and never had a problem and I color my hair but I stay somewhat close to my own color.

Maybe it's time to rethink the blond hair. If you have dark roots that's a lot of work to maintain. If your own hair is dark brown, try a light brown and see how you like that. It will probably be easier to maintain.

Anonymous

That's not true because the same happened to me and lol I'm a brunette !!

I have gone through the menopause, and am now on hrt. I've been taking it for 3 months. Even though I go to a salon to have my hair lightened, I have the same problem you have encountered!

It must be unusual but not unheard of! After 4 attempts we have decided my hair just doesn't want to be blond! So going to have a rethink! Good luck!

Same here when the salon puts an ash color on my hair it turns bright orange. Ash takes out warmth. I also believe it is hormonal. It affects everything else to why not the hair lol

Hello. Yes, my doctor told me that it can affect you hair. Please go to a salon and have them do it for you. Take care.

Did your doctor put you on hormone therapy and/or have you started any other new medications? If that's the case then you'll need to use a good clarifying shampoo every time you shampoo to keep the RX chemicals that affect the hair shaft at bay.

I was a hairstylist for over thirty years and every single time there was a color change that shouldn't have occurred I asked the client if they were taking any new medications. 99% of the time that was indeed the case.

I used to have dark hair also but between the pool etc it stays a light brown and that has changed to the roots

I only had a partial hysterectomy, still have my ovaries, and for the past two years if I have my hair colored any brown shade my hair is an orange/red color as well. Its not the brand of dye, not the stylist, Ive tried several and all same results. Dont take medicines just vitamins. Anyone have the solution Id be interested as well.

I am having the same problem. I have a cool dark blonde naturally and I have been having female issues, thinking menopause. When I lighten my hair it turns to an orange/brass color.

I have been coloring my hair for over 30 years and never had this issue. I have NOT started any new medication. I am thinking hormones.

I'm having the opposite problem. Everytime I attempt to color my hair burgundy (or a reddish color), it always turns black. I've never experienced this issue before. At one point I was blonde, had highlights, or switched colors seasonally.

Iam having the same issues I have always been able to go pale white and now even with 40 v and heat I get nothing more than orange:( I have used several brands and no change. Iam a licensed cosmetologist as well

Add to the mix a few drops of Red dapper sold at Sallys . Will control red or orange colors

No, the un-red from Sally's doesn't help mine in any way. I have tried twice now and the brassy red is still there.

I will be going to a salon soon to get this mess cleaned up so that I don't look like a cheap nasty hair job.

I have the same exact experience! Have light brown hair and have died it for years but champagne blonde color. Now that Im in menopause my hair has a slight orange tinge. I noticed some improvement after drinking a glass of soy milk every morning to put a little estrogen back in my system and using a sulfate free shampoo. I like Garnier for colored hair.

Hi I have just coloured my hair with majored hi lift ash+ and my hair didnt lift Im a base 7 Im on hrt and take hi dose vit D . I have never had this problem pre menopause .

So Im not the only one??? Im 54 and based on my hormone levels my doctor says Im in the full swing of menopause...lol. I had a total hysterectomy 7 years ago and didnt notice any changes to my hair then, but in the last 2 years the texture has changed and Ive lost all my natural wave.

Also having problems with dye - my natural color is a dirty blond/light brown. I want a rich brown but my hair will not cooperate! I end up with a brassy, muted orange-brown no matter what we try. Very frustrating!

Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips ColoringApril 2, 2010
🍂
😷
🎃
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf40998938.tip.html