Chocolate Chip Cookies Come Out Flat

Why are my chocolate cookies coming out flat as a pancake? I am following the recipe to a tee.

By Melanie from Chicago, IL

Best Answer

I use half butter and half Crisco in mine. That seems to help, and you might also try using different cookie sheets. There is a huge difference in using dark sheets, shiny sheets, etc.

Best Answer

The previous ideas are worth trying. I have found that when the recipe says butter (or stick margarine), softened, don't soften it in microwave or oven. Let it sit out on counter for 30 minutes. Too soft butter will cause the cookies to flatten. Never use tub margarine. Also, parchment paper on cookie sheets works better than without. Cookie sheets should be cool with each batch. CayC from FL

Best Answer

I've been trying to figure this out for a while. It baffled me because i used the exact same recipe as before. Tried all sorts of things with chilling the batter, convection/not convection, different oven temps, different flour, etc. But I finally found the solution: Use baking powder! I apparently was using baking soda when they all came out flat. Baking powder makes them more fluffy.

Best Answer

Refrigerate the cookie dough and make sure is cold before placing on the cookie sheet, and add a 1/4 extra flour. Guaranteed no more flat cookies :)

Check out this website to find your solution: http://www.baki … lems.htm#Shrinks

I use half butter and half shortening in my recipe. Sometimes butter will flatten cookies.

After many years of experimenting I found that adding about a half cup of flour fixes that problem.

If I use tub margarine it will make my cookies spread out. Also, check to see if your baking powder or baking soda are old. That will effect how much your cookies raise too.

I am not sure but if you use Crisco in your cookie recipe, it might be that as they have changed the way Crisco is made.

No saturated fats are in it, I believe but it is not the same old Crisco we relied on before.

I use Crisco butter flavor shortening instead of butter. My cookies never come out flat no matter how warm the cookie sheets are or how much flour I use. Also, always make sure your baking powder is fresh.

I would rather have flat cookies than to put crisco in them. I use butter and a little more flour and they taste wonderful.