BreakfastFood Tips

Was Oatmeal Originally Soaked Prior to Cooking?

I was told recently that the package directions for preparing oatmeal used to include soaking. Does anyone know if this is true? I've gotten information about how the soaking should work, but am really curious about the truth of oatmeal soaking directions from days gone by. I like folksy history.

By stephanie

I have also wondered about soaking oats. Seems like it would be quick and easy for mornings, as back in the ole days they didn't have microwaves, haha. Found this blog, has a recipe.

www.thenourishinggourmet.com/.../soaked-oatmeal-a-filling-and-frugal...

I'm 71 and remember my grandmother on the farm fixing oatmeal everyday for breakfast. She never soaked it but did use the skim milk from the cream separator to cook the oatmeal in instead of water.

I always thought it was because oats were probably more of the larger variety like oat groats or even steel cut or scottish oats than the rolled flakes (old fashioned oats or quick oats) we have today. The larger pieces esp of oat groats take a lot longer to cook to be chewable than the rolled oats.

en.wikipedia.org/.../Oatmeal#Vermont
www.johnberardi.com/.../brief_history_of_oats.htm
www.fatfreekitchen.com/.../oats.html

There is a school of thought today that recommends soaking oatmeal but more for nutritional reasons...to neutralize the phytic acid.

www.westonaprice.org/Be-Kind-to-Your-Grains...And-Your...
www.rebuild-from-depression.com/.../oatmeal_phytic_acid.html