Here's To Thrifty Living!

My mother, raised in the Depression, passed down a lot of thrifty wisdom to me. It was a matter of principle not to waste and to get as much value as possible. Besides, that meant that you could spend money elsewhere, like on theater tickets and records! We looked for sales and I heard my mother say "I could make it for less than that myself!" and I learned sewing and other skills.

After leaving home my budget got tight and I discovered the world of vintage in thrift shops. Often you are paying for someone else's taste, so I have developed my own. Unfortunately not everyone appreciated this, so I also learned to keep it to myself. But now vintage is chic - so go figure.

For years I have lived by my wits. Knowledge can be power when living thriftily, and that's the best tip I can pass on to you. Keep learning! Just reading the daily newspaper has told me many ways to save money. It's more of a philosophy than just knowing what outlets to use. Keeping aware of what's around, you will find the best deals. Even in Germany while visiting my sister I found bargains she didn't know about!

This lifestyle's bonus is a degree of freedom from the stranglehold of consumerism. I have all I need to lead a full and happy life without selling my soul to the company store, and in that, I am a happy American freak! Here's to thrifty living!

Pamphyila from L.A., CA

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here: http://www.thriftyfun.com/post_myfrugallife.ldml

Sounds like my mom, thanks for sharing.

My mom used to do some of the same things. She sewed most of my clothes (she's amazing when it comes to this!) and cooked from scratch, sometimes making a dish almost out of thin air.