Pansies

These pansies re-seed year after year in an old wooden planter just over the rail of my patio in the apartment building courtyard.

By Deeli

Deeli,they're so pretty.I love pansies. Thanks for sharing.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

They're lovely! But I've always wondered about plants that come back in the same container. Do you just pile on the fertilizer before they sprout, or wait until they come up. It seems that if you dig it in, you would bury a lot of the seeds and seedlings. Can you help me?

Reply Like this photo? Yes
Anonymous

Hi Coreenhart,

These particular pansies come up year after year and I think it's because they are allowed to 'go to seed' and are fairly protected by the old wooden planter they're in from the wind blowing the seeds away. They are actually virtually ignored by maintenance other than an occasional watering during the Spring and Summer.

What you could do is allow your pansies to go to seed, collect the seeds from the seed pods and keep them in a cool dry place in an envelope until the next Spring and place them where you want them to grow after all possible frost is done, barely cover them with soil and keep watered. Hope this is helpful. :-)

Deeli :-)

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Photos GardenMay 11, 2010
🌻
🐛
📓