Growing Pansies

Category Annuals
These brightly colored, cheerful cool weather flowers are generally grown as annual bedding plants. This is a page about growing pansies.

Botanical Name:

Viola x wittrockiana

Life Cycle:

annuals, biennials, perennials

Planting Time:

spring or fall

Height:

6" to 9"

Exposure:

full sun to partial afternoon shade (especially in warmer zones)

Soil:

rich, moist, well-drained soil

Hardiness:

7-11

Bloom Time:

year-round depending on climate

Flower:

various happy colors; multi-colored or solid; lightly scented

Foliage:

green

Propagation:

seeds

Suggested Use:

borders, beds, containers, edgings, and companion plantings

Growing Hints:

Start indoors from seed 10 to 12 weeks before last spring frost. Cold treat planted pots for two weeks before moving to a warming temperature to sprout. Seedlings are also widely available from nurseries and should be transplanted 6 inches apart. Deadheading spent flowers will extend blooming period.

Interesting Facts:

The dark velvety centers of some pansies are said to look like little faces. Pansy petals are edible and make attractive additions to salads and desserts. Wash off potential chemical residues before using the petals-especially if you purchased the seedlings from a nursery.

First, I don't know if I'm in zone 7a, Tulsa is NE of OK City, which is zone 7a. Anyway, as you can probably already tell by now, I don't know the 1st thing about planting or taking care of flowers.

However, my son is selling pansies for his band fundraiser and I'm sucker enough to buy some because he says he's the only one who hasn't sold anything. But I don't know what to do with them.

It says they are 4 inch pots, with 18 per flat to be delivered the end of Oct. I haven't ordered yet, but figured I'd order 2 flats, 1 dark blue and 1 either yellow or citrus mix.

I have a spot under a tree that faces north in my front yard where they would be nice, but I don't know if that is an appropriate place. I don't know what I'm supposed to do to prepare the ground, how to plant them, how to maintain them over winter and what to do with them when it warms up.

Basically, I don't know anything about pansies, except that I always thought they were pretty and they are edible. I am hoping all you wonderful experts can give me some advice so I don't break my son's heart when I kill his flowers out of ignorance!

Thanks in advance.

By Judy = Oklahoma from Tulsa, OK

Answers

I have never done anything to prepare the ground for planting flowers other than digging it up. That goes for whatever type of flower that I planted. The main thing is that you have to plant any plant in the amount of sunlight that is required. I would think they would come with directions. If I remember right, pansies require a fair amount of sunlight. I guess I wouldn't worry about it until they arrive and then read the directions. You could also call a nursery and ask them the questions that you have.

Pansies are the first hint of spring besides the bulb flowers that arise. As soon as the snow is gone and the sunshine hits, they peek out. So, depending on the amount of snow you get, sunshine, just prepare a spot like you would summer flowers, dig up the soil, plot out where you want them, they will come back, they will spread out (not grossly).

The amount you plan to order would do a larger sized garden for sure. Plan for about 10 square inches spacing for every 3 plants. They get full and bushy, but not tall (maybe 6-10 inches). Don't make their bed all in one place, they are a happy plant which smile in many places. Make sure they get at least partial sun.

Thanks for the advice!

My potted pansies have been doing very well for almost 2 months. Recently they apparently are being eaten by something that I cannot identify. The flowers are disappearing from around the edges until they are almost entirely gone. Is there a natural cure I can use to get rid of this pest? Thank you for your time.

By Jancie from Archbald, PA

Answers

If you can't find the pests, try going out just as the sun starts to set. There are many caterpillars (tomato caterpillars for one) that will hide in a niche in the ground until the sun goes down and it's more cool. Then they come out and munch on your plants. I kept a whole veggie garden rid of caterpillars one year without any chemicals by going on a "hunt" just at that time of the night. VERY effective for me, and I hope you are able to catch your culprit without resorting to chems. It does sound like that type of caterpillar/worm to me.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this page.

Photo Description
Earlier, I posted a picture of some sunken beds I was preparing for pansies. I got them planted and now they are beginning to make a nice display. Shown is one of the five beds.

For many years, I had no trouble with slugs eating my pansy blooms. I didn't even know they would. Things have changed, now. Looking closely at the picture, you can see a lot of damage.

I'll pick the ragged blooms and apply Bug Getta. In less than two weeks, the bed should be full of unscathed blossoms.

As long as there are gardeners, there'll be something to torment the daylights out of them. It's OK. I'm still on the winning side.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 4

Photo Description
I could weep. I just made this bed. It's not complete. I'm going to have to make it a bit larger so the blocks will fit properly.

And too, I plan to cover the blocks with small white quartz stones. If the project turns out well, I will enter it as a craft.

So, why am I almost in tears? This bed was beautiful a week ago. Now it's not. The bed is in an open field. That's what saved these few pansies. My many, many others are gone.

I've never had this happen before, but heavy rains literally rotted all my pansies, except this one bed.

Maybe I should raise ducks instead of flowers.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 3

Found in Europe and western Asia the pansy is a hybridization of several species in the genus Viola. They are also some of the cutest, happy, little flowers you can add to your garden. Enjoy the photos of pansies found in this page.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

You can save money by growing pansies from seed. They will need a light loamy soil, high in organic matter, that is kept moist, in order to germinate. This is a page about growing pansies from seed.

Home and Garden Gardening AnnualsMay 14, 2014
🌻
📓
🐛