Buying Land to Homestead

If I wanted to buy land what government office do I go to? Is there an 800# I can call for information? I'm thinking of homesteading and need to know what steps I need to take for buying land. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

By Loleini

Best Answer

Try the courthouse in your county they have a list of what town's in your county are offering land free or for sale, and don't forget the tax liens ask for them too. I called and found out there were 11 lots in my county area on tax lien. This is property that you only have to pay the taxes on and it is yours. Amazingly people new to this country never payed taxes on their lot purchase, or they didn't know because the country they come from doesn't have property tax. Taxes on these tax lien properties can be as low as $500.00. depending on location!

Anonymous

You don't need a government subsidy loan (and yes those loans are subsidies paid in part by other tax payers) to purchase land to homestead/live off the land and especially right now when interest rates are so low. Just call a realtor. They know city and county codes and laws as to what and what cannot be done for the area you're interested in.

Are you looking for free land? If so, those days are long over. The Homestead Act isn't in effect anymore. There are few places that offer land and the ones that do are specific towns that offer city lots merely to get people (with children) to move in, to re-populate the town.

You must sign a contract that you will build a house of specific size by a specified contractor, within a time limit.

In other words, you cannot do as you please. Google "free land" or something similar to do research as to what's available and where, and check their restrictions. You'd best look at a rural area where land isn't too expensive to start your homestead, and buy it on your own.