AdviceCharity

Finding a Charity to Help Purchase Tires

I am a young, single parent widower, and I drive 90 miles a day for my job. I need 2 tires so badly. I am very concerned that I may be involved in a highway crash, mine have absolutely no tread. Do charities help with tires?

By Danny R.

Call the different charities in the phone book and ask them. I haven't heard of any charities that help with things like that, but I might not have heard of all the charities. You could also speak to your pastor. Sometimes a church will take up a special offering for a needy member of the congregation. I understand your situation.

When I had a car, I had the same problem, however, I squirreled a little money away every month for car repairs. One time my car needed a repair that was going to cost something like $250.00 and I absolutely didn't have the money. Anyway I called my pastor and he said they couldn't help at that time, so I started calling other churches in the town, and two of the churches went half and half on the repair.

Anonymous

Calling your church/local churches is a good start. Here are some other ideas:

Talk to the manager of the place you get your car repairs. They might just have a couple of tires someone else changed out for new and their old ones are better than yours and maybe they'll give them to you for free if you change them yourself? I wouldn't get discouraged if they say no and just call every car repair and every tire store in your area. Someone is bound to be understanding and sympathetic to your plight.

Also call your local Department of Human Services and Catholic Family Charities too. If they can't help you they will at least give you a list of quite a few charities who might be able to help. One more idea is to call your local Salvation Army and let family, neighbors and co-workers know you need some help and ask if they can pass the word.

Please let us know how and who ends up giving you help because the information might help somebody else here down the road.

You can try the tire stores that sell and replace tires. They could have or will have some old tires that are in good shape that they could sell to you at a low price. You could also try gas stations that deal in tires. They sometimes resell old tires that are in good condition. And as others have reponded, you may try some charities for some help.

Danny, I hope the advice already given is helpful to you. What city do you live in? Depending on where you live maybe someone might have more specific suggestions. God Bless you and your children.

Try you local freecycle. Someone getting new tires may give you theirs that are better than the ones you now have. Good Luck