BBQ and GrillFood Tips

How Do I Cook a Roast on a Gas Grill?

I am wanting to do a roast on the grill for Mother's Day. I have a gas grill, any tips? Thank you.

By Kristin from Omaha, NE

Do you have a rotisserie and spit on your barbeque?

I have found that using a rotisserie does avery good job of roasting beef, pork or chicken.

Heat your grill on high heat. Insert spit through the center of the roast. Put a meat thermometer in the roast. Turn the heat down to MEDIUM. Keep an eye on it and adjust heat accordingly. You can tell if it is cooking the outside too quickly.

The meat thermometer will tell you when the roast is ready

It's easiest if you have two or more burners. With a two-burner grill, you'll use one burner; with a three-burner grill, you'll use two burners. Heat the grill to 400 degrees and turn off one or two burners, leaving the other one or two on high. Place your roast on the burner that's OFF and adjust the heat to 350. This is called indirect cooking as you're not cooking over the heat directly; instead the grill is acting more like an oven. You can do this witb whole chickens, turkeys, etc.

Use a thermometer and watch your timing carefully as a roast usually cooks faster on the grill in my experience.

If you have a grill that lets you turn on the burners on one side, you can place the roast on the other side and "convert' the grill into a roaster of sorts. Just be sure to use an oven thermometer to control the heat. I would suggest a roasting pan or foil wrap to keep the roast from drying out.