Apple Baked French Toast
- 1 large loaf French or Italian bread
- 8 large eggs
- 3-1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla
- 3 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 6 to 8 medium-sized cooking apples (I use Granny Smith)
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- Slice bread into 1-1/2-inch slices.
- Spray a 9x13 glass baking dish with margarine or cooking spray.
- Place bread in the baking dish with sides touching (snug fit).
- In a bowl, beat together the eggs, 1/2 cup sugar, milk and vanilla with whisk, for about 30 seconds.
- Pour one half of the egg mixture over the bread.
- Peel, core, and slice apples. Place sliced apples on top of bread to cover.
- Pour balance of egg mixture evenly over apples.
- Mix remaining 1/2 cup sugar with cinnamon and nutmeg and sprinkle evenly over top of apples. Dot with butter.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Uncover dish and bake in oven for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for 5 to 10 minutes before serving. Cut into squares and serve with warm syrup or powdered sugar.
Source: Gourmet magazine (August 1, 2006)
By Connie from Cotter, AR
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.