My Cat Keeps Peeing on the Floor

I have had two lovely Burmese boys just over 12 months now. They were originally inside for 6 months then went outside, but now because of where I live must stay inside. I do have a small outside pen, but can't leave them in there because of the rules in our complex. Anyway, one of them in particular has started peeing inside on the floor every single day now for over a month. I think he is stressed, but so am I. I'm close to letting them both go to a new home. I'm forever cleaning up. Please help.

By LadyRebelSailor from QLD, Australia

Since your cat is use to be outdoors, now he's an indoor cat, maybe the litter box confuses your pet? Wild guess. Call your vet and ask for suggestions. :)

I have a 3 year old Siamese and a 1 and a half year old Russian Blue. I have had them together over a year. They both have started to recently pee on the floor. It's random and not in the same place. If one pees there, then the other does also. What can I do to get them to stop?

We have not changed anything or moved their litter box. They also continue to use the litter box for both peeing and pooping. So we don't think its a UTI because they are both doing it.
Please help us.

By KaLee T. from Salt Lake City, UT

Answers

I would still have them checked out for UTI. One may have a UTI and the other one is peeing just because the other one has. Most cats with UTIs still use the litter box part of the time.

Are there any new cats in the neighborhood that they may be able to see (or hear) through the windows? That can be enough to set off their territorial behavoirs (marking). Sometimes outside cats will pee on your porch or near the front door and set them off. You may not be aware of it but the cats will smell it.

Those are the two things I thought of, but there are lots of good posts on this site if you do a search. Good luck.

I have a 2yr old Tabby cat who is very well potty trained with the cat box. He used to poop on my carpets and tile, but now he just keeps peeing on my bathroom floor tile in same spot more than once a day. What should/can I do to stop this from happening?

By Josh from Stevens Point, WI

Answers:

My Cat Keeps Peeing on the Floor

Have the cat checked by a vet. It may have a bladder or kidney infection. (11/02/2010)

By Danialle

My Cat Keeps Peeing on the Floor

Cats with urinary tract infections (uti) will often seek out a place to pee that they think is "cool," like a tile floor. UTIs are very painful for cats and can cause long term kidney damage if ignored. I always take my cat to the vet to rule a UTI out. Then if it is just a behavioral problem I use Comfort Zone to get them back in the litter box. The spray has worked for me 100% of the time. They will not go where it has been sprayed. UTIs tend to come back and I have had good luck with a product called "Tract Ease" (onlynaturalpets.com) in my cat's food to keep them from coming back. I am at 1 year and counting with no recurrences. Good luck! (11/02/2010)

By Lizzyanny

My cat keeps peeing on the floor. I clean her kitty litter but she just keeps going for the floor! HELP?

katie from Ferryland, NL

Answers:

My Cat Keeps Peeing on the Floor

I have had the same problem with my cat. First you need to rule out a urinary tract infection. The vet will get a urine sample and test it. If that is it they can give her medicine for that. If that isn't it, be sure to clean the area where she has urinated with a product that will eliminate the urine smell (there are lots out there, I have not found one better than the other).

She may also not like the particular litter you are using. You can try other types. Nothing stopped my cat from doing it, he just kind of stopped on his own. I used puppy pads in the area where he would pee which was right in front of the litter box, and he used those for several months until he decided to use the box again. Good luck! (07/06/2006)

By wyoKrista

My Cat Keeps Peeing on the Floor

I had the same problem. I cleaned the area well that he had peed on and then I put his cat food bowls right on top of that area for several weeks. Cats will not mess around their food dishes. I then changed to a different cat litter and that took care of my problem. My cat will not use the litter when it gets too messy or too wet, so keep the litter box cleaned out. Best to you! (07/10/2006)

By Ace

My Cat Keeps Peeing on the Floor

Try another brand of litter. Cats are particular about that, one of mine is very fussy about that. Also, if there's been urine on the floor once it is very hard to remove the smell. Even though it may smell clean to you, the cat can smell it because their sense of smell is 50X greater than ours. Don't use bleach it's ammonia type smell is reminiscent of the ammonia smell in cat urine and may encourage them to pee there again. Go to a pet supply store for a product designed to remove urine odors. If non of these seem to be a factor your cat may have a urinary problem of some sort, such as an infection. If you see your cat struggle to urinate it may have a more serious condition and you'll need to get to the vet pronto. (07/10/2006)

By michellejones3