EggsFood Tips

Adding Salt for Boiled Eggs

Hard boiled eggs will peel so much easier if you add salt to the water. I usually add about 1/4 cup salt to a 4 quart pan of water. The salt penetrates the shell but has no effect on the egg. I have tried using "old" eggs, fresh eggs, putting them in cold water before they come to a boil etc.

I learned this while working as a prep cook at a local restaurant. I was shocked when faced with a 5 gallon pot full of eggs that needed to be peeled, the shells slipped right off! It only took about 10 minutes to peel them.

Source: The other prep cook who is a member of the local Hutterite (Menonite) colony that I worked with.

By Linny from Roundup, MT

I was taught to add a pinch of salt to the water in case a shell cracked and egg streamed out. The salt would set it and seal the crack. Usually storage eggs that are quickly plunged into cold water immediately after boiling, will peel easily.

When making deviled eggs for the holidays, those eggs can be hard to peel. Add salt to the water while boiling and they will peel easier.

Source: my grandmother

By dayzee4949 from OH

I always put a teaspoon of salt in my water when I am making hard-boiled eggs. The shells just roll off like butter when you go to peel the eggs!

By Michele from Dallas, Tx

Answers:

Adding Salt for Boiled Eggs

Thank you for the tip, I will use this one! (02/06/2006)

By meoowmom

Adding Salt for Boiled Eggs

I use this one; however I do one better, add a little vinegar too! Your eggs will not crack from the vinegar, or is it from the salt. Well one keeps them from cracking and one makes the shell peel more easily. I have made tons of deviled eggs in my day, so this is very important! (02/07/2006)

By Debbie52