Growing Beets in Containers

I moved to a small flat last November. I have started to try and grow herbs in containers. I was given some beetroot seeds. Would I be able to grow these in containers, too? Many thanks.

Helen xx

By helen from UK

I have not tried it, but I have read that it can be done. It requires a large pot that is at least a foot deep; is that 30 mm? Use enriched potting soil. They may start more quickly if you cover the planted seed with a cloche or even a large, clear plastic bag until they emerge. And, this is a lesson learned the hard way, NEVER re-use potting soil the following year! I hope you'll let us know how you fare.