Preparing Rhubarb for a Recipe

When using Rhubarb in recipe, is there any special preparation to the rhubarb (ie: put it in blender prior to putting it in recipe)?

Thanks,
Terry from LaFayette, NY

Depending on the recipe of course, you wash the rhubarb, take off the ends, then you cut into about 1 inch chunks add a tiny amount of water, don't let it swim, say 1 Tbsp. per pound. Bring to a slow boil with a lid on and simmer until soft, maybe 5 or 6 minutes, could be less check often! It breaks right down, you then use it in your recipe or just have it with cream or custard!.. I always add sugar right at the beginning, it's soooo tart. Hope this helps.

Lisa, I didn't know you needed to cook it before you use it in a recipe! I just dice it and mix it up for a pie. Maybe you only pre-cook if you're making custard?

The recipe directions will let you know what to do to it before using. Sometimes you sprinkle with sugar and let sit for a bit other times you just wash, dice and use. The larger the stalk the tougher it is so if you are picking it yourself, pick some nice young stalks that are reddish pink. Just don't eat the leaves, they are poisonous. I LOVE rhubarb in cookies, pies and jams! YUM!

All the rhubarb recipes I make ( pies and crisps) and have seen calls for just washing the rhubarb and cutting into 1/2 - 1 inch pieces. Rhubarb cooks down nicely. It is one of the easiest things to use in a recipe. HTH! :)

For that great recipe for rhubarb , pineapple & jello jam, after peeling the rhubarb I cut it into approx 2" pcs then with the pineapple put it all in the food processor. It turned out really good, I don't like chunks of fruit in jam. by the way I would like to thank the one who sent in the recipe for the "jello jam" it is SO easy! I made 4 batches already - would have made more but that is all my rhubarb patch would yield! By the way I prefer it with 2 & 1/2 C of sugar instead of 3.

The first thing you need to do is to thoroughly wash
the rhubarb. Then you can use it an any recipe. The

one that is listed about cooking is for what we always
called Stewed Rhubarb. Loved it still warm!
Other recipes will tell you what to do to the rhubarb
for that recipe.

I have a similar question. How much of the stalk can you cut/chop up? All of it or just the red part?