Inundated With Fruit Flies

I have been inundated lately with these pesky flies. Not only are they in my kitchen but are now all over my house. They seem to be attracted to my bathroom and bedroom mirrors. I have no food in these rooms and can't figure out where they are coming from. Help please.

By Joanne D.

Best Answer

Fruit flies are drawn to anything acidic, even lemon scented dish detergent. If you keep glass cleaner in the bathroom that is likely the attraction. Using a small jam jar or baby food jar I'll almost fill it with vinegar water along with a drop of dish detergent and float a small slice of lemon or orange and dunk it under then allow it to float. This attracts the flies that will try to land on the slice of fruit, but the detergent prevents them from leaving as they rely on surface tension.

I bought 2 basil plants and put them in my garden window. They kept the fruit flies and flies away. I have chickens also that really helped a lot.

Home and Garden Pest Control FliesNovember 11, 2011
🎂
📓
🌻