Substitute for Cornstarch in the UK

Category Substitutions
Certain products are unavailable in some countries. Similarly, a specific item may be know by different names from one country to another. This is a guide about substitute for cornstarch in the UK.

I am pretty sure I know the answer to this, but I would like to hear the answer from someone who knows for sure.

The reason I'm asking is that a member suggested the use of Bird's Custard (which is made in UK). I read the Bird's Custard label. The listed ingredients were cornflour, salt, vanilla, color (annatto).

As one cannot make a custard with these ingredients, that is, with what we in the USA call corn flour, I'm assuming what is called cornflour in UK is what we in the USA call corn starch.

Can someone tell me from first hand experience whether my assumption is correct? And if it is correct, I have another question. What is that which we in the USA call corn starch, called in UK?

Best Answer

What we call cornstarch in the US is called cornflour in the UK.

It is called cornflour.

Thanks for the spelling correction. I was sure Annatto was spelled with two 't's. On the can label, there appeared to be one. I thought that was the English spelling. On second look, I see there were two.

Which question are you answering, Judy?

We actually have several designations of milled corn they don't have in the UK. That's because they aren't really big growers and users of corn like we are here. Other grains are more common.

So - did anyone have an answer to the first question?

I am not familiar with this brand so I cannot answer that question but the last question seems to have been answered but I liked the answer from another post that gave the web site to find the answer and I learned several new things just reading the list of definitions.

https://en.wiki  glish_food_terms

Jamie Oliver reckons the best substitute for cornstartch is Semolina - as its a superior product. Just sayin'.

I love so much of the British terminology, (as the hood of the car being called the bonnet, (I can see how it would apply)). But this time, with corn flour, it doesn't quite work, (except that it is generally accepted).

If a Brit ground corn fine enough, he would have corn flour; what the Spanish call Harina de maíza. One can't get cornstarch (British corn flour) by grinding corn, the starch (again, British corn flour) must be extracted.

I have accepted that cornstarch (USA) is called cornflour in the UK. That still leaves my question, what is corn flour called in the UK; I mean real corn flour, real Harina de maíza.They wouldn't call it corn flour , though it is, because that would confuse everyone. Everyone would think they were talking about corn starch (corn flour).

Here is a good article I found. It looks like it is often called maize flour or polenta flour.

http://www.ochef.com/1041.htm

Anonymous

In the U.K. we would call it maize flour, yellow corn flour, or polenta. You can also buy corn meal which is much more coarse.

I was looking at a recipe for making homemade bath bombs. One of the ingredients was cornstarch. What is this? We have cornflour in the U.K is it the same? Many thanks.

Helen xx

By Helen from U.K

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

In the UK, cornflour is the same as US corn starch. In the US the corn flour is known as corn meal, which is a rough cut corn to use in baking and cooking.

Helen,I looked this up on:answers.com and yes your cornflour is the same as our cornstarch. I also have this site w/more equals for you: http://en.wikip  glish_food_terms

Hi keeper60 many thanks for your reply to my request I wasnt quite sure if they were the same many thanks for your help helen xx

keeper always comes up with great help.

I believe the UK word for cornstarch is maize.

Yes but if your trying to make slime add salt for better results

In the UK maize is the corn itself, or corn on the cob, or corn kernels. We also call it sweetcorn when it is off the cob and used as a vegetable.

When it is ground to a fine powder that those in the US call corn starch, we call it cornflour. We usually use this for thickening sauce, soup, stews gravy and such like.

Corn meal which is the more roughly ground and usually yellower flour used in bread making we also call corn meal, but it is harder to find in UK shops