TipsFrugal Living

Warming Yourself Up

Feeling kind of cold? Here is a tip to help you warm up without turning the thermostat up. Use your hair dryer. You can point it at the place where you feel the coldest. I warm up the back of my neck at the hairline, warms me right up. Another way is to take a 24 ounce plastic pop bottle and fill it with hot water then place it under your arm or hold it on the back of your neck. That really hits the spot. :-)

By Herman J. from Midland, MI

Clever!:)

Thanks for the idea! I use a heating pad which uses very little electricity. I just sit on it wherever I am in the house. Setting it on low works best :) Keeps me warm while reading or sitting at the computer.

I also keep the house temperature fairly low and use space heaters to heat up the room i am in. I turn them on low as well.

You can also rub the lobes of your ears for about half a minute.

My son always wants to turn up the heat.
I told him, if you have on a pair of socks, and your slippers, pants and a long sleeve shirt, and you are still cold, we'll turn up the heat.
Well, after putting on a long sleeve shirt, pants instead of shorts, socks and his slippers, we didn't need to turn the heat up.
I always wear my slippers at home as you lose a lot of heat out of your feet. You also lose a lot of heat ouy of your head, and a hat can help keep you warm.

http://www.siss … 2006projects.htm

This blog page contains a link to instructions for a "snuglet" which is a similar item to the expensive "Snuggie" and "Slanket" that you sew up yourself and turn down the thermostat. Even if all you can manage is basic sewing skill...I think a newbie could manage the project. This is my current obsession...so I am on a mission to make a few of these as Christmas presents to keep my kids and myself, and all my friends warm, WalMart and JoAnn Fabrics here I come (with a coupon to use at JoAnn's of course) It's a polar fleece mission. Apparently the "slankets" are popular with the gamers (aka teenage boys) and with just about everyone else...allows you to turn down the thermostat and those who get very cold can don one of these and those who are fine without one, well...solution accomplished.

My mother always said that when you're cold and can't get warm, change your socks!

The idea, gross as it sounds, is that the sweat from your feet will keep you cold no matter what you do to keep warm.

I always use white cotton athletic socks. It works every time.

The other thing I do when I'm in bed and can't get warm is to cover my head with another pillow the blanket. Not to smother my face, though!

I've heard this other thing, but have never tried it. Before you put on your shoes, boots, etc., sprikle cayenne pepper into your shoes. Wear socks, of course. The cayenne pepper is hot as you know, and it warms your skin.

Good luck!

I warm up the bed with my hairdryer. The warm sheets enable me to fall asleep quickly.