Father's Day Gift Ideas for Nursing Home Residents

I work in a nursing home, and I'm in charge of Father's Day gifts this year (for 20 men). I was thinking of gift bags of some sort, but not sure. Any suggestions?

By Andrea from Wildwood, FL

Best Answer

How about a "Father's Day Party" with party favors that are inexpensive toys of their generation: snap caps, bubbles, yo-yo, Chinese handcuffs (they go on both fingers), those paddles with a plastic ball on a string attached to them, marbles, jacks, etc.) It will bring up their own childhood memories, smile.

Best Answer

Gift bags with sample size products a man can use, shaving cream, disposable razors, bar soap, shampoo, etc.

Best Answer

Gifts are nice, but most folks in nursing homes are very lonely. How about arranging a special dinner and arranging for family members to visit?

What about a movie night theme?
Give each resident a movie ticket.
Find a suitable dvd for them to watch. Add popcorn a drink, some movie theater candy, etc.

I don't know your budget or your rules, but I don't know a man on this planet who doesn't enjoy an ice cold beer! Second idea, ask each of them what their favorite food is and combine all the answers in a wonderful homecooked meal!

In regard to the first comment. I know a lot of men that would NOT enjoy a beer. We don't drink and neither do our friends, so that is a totally inappropriate suggestion. Also, recovering alcoholics would not appreciate it either.

Seriously? Inappropriate, I think that's a little harsh. Just because you can't relax and are too anal doesn't mean the whole world is, get a better attitude.

Last year money was tight, so instead of buying a fathers day gift for my hubby, I printed off 'certificates', from the children. Some were promises from the children; clean out the rabbit cage, wash the car, from me I gave him 'me make a meal of your choosing'... the list is endless. We even had one for the children to be quiet whilst he enjoyed a whole episode of his favourite programme in peace!

Plastic coffee mugs with covers and a bag of popcorn in each

Fathers day Activity could b a display of small antiques from their era. Number the items for them to identify, and see who gets the most correct. If family is visiting they may pick up on something they didn't know about their dad. I also made guy centerpieces of small candy bars glued to sticks in mason jars. after the dining room was empty there was no candy only empty sticks ! Tapes of the old radio shows "Fibber McGhee and Molly also stimulated conversation