Removing Odors from a Clothes Dryer

Category Appliances
Occasionally something is dried in the dryer that leaves a lingering odor. This is a guide about removing odors from a clothes dryer.

My partner left a lighter in his pocket and after washing his clothes I put them in the dryer and now every time I use the dryer the clothes come out smelling of lighter fluid and it's disgusting. What can I do to get rid of the smell? I have cleaned the lint area and pulled the back off it and cleaned that out. I've given up using it due to the smell and now I am hanging the clothes out on a clothes hanger inside, but with a four year old and a 7 month old I really need my dryer and it's also winter here atm.
I am trying to avoid buying a new dryer. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to get rid of the smell?

Answers

You can try a product called Nok-Out. You can get it on amazon.

Depending on how bad it is you may want to take a clean cotton rag and put a tablespoon of Dawn dish soap on the rag, squish it around, and wipe down the inside of the machine. The plain simple Dawn works best and leaves the least residue.

Then take a damp rag and wipe out the soap residue. Leave the door open over night. It may take a few treatments. This usually breakes down the greasy lighter residue and removes the smell.

www.quora.com/Why-does-my-dryer-smell-like-lighter...

This has a way to try to remove the smell, but more *importantly* I think, is, those vapors/fumes from the lighter residue that you're smelling, when a dryer heat gets hot enough, it can become combustible.

well that sounds a bit dangerous as dryers, under bad circumstances, are notorious for randomly starting house fires, and a lighter is in essence an accelerant, so add the dryer heat and guess what happens?

I'm pretty scaredy cat about thigns like that so i owuld just list it on craigslist and get a new (used) one. YOu put the ad with the caveat re the lighter and be willing to let it go for cheap

How do you remove smoke odor from the dryer?

Answers

Nok-out removes all odors. You can buy it at Amazon

Anonymous

What stores can you buy Nok-Out

How can I get an odor out of the clothes dryer?

Answers

First check the filter and the air exit to make sure it is clear and clean.Wipe interior well with disinfecting cleaning wipes.Use a damp wash cloth (hot water) sprayed with a little disinfectant and absorbed for a minute. Run in dryer a few minutes. Hope that helps some.

Someone threw varnish filled cloths into our dryer. Now our clothes come out smelling strongly of chemicals. How do we clean this out?

By cherylbonc from Chicago

Answers

Soak a wash cloth or rag in white vinegar and toss it in the dryer over night. You can even turn it onto air dry and let it run a cycle. This should get rid of the smell :)

I don't know how it happened but my drying machine just started smelling like dry cooking oil. When I smelled my clothes it made me want to throw up!

Does anyone know how to remove this terrible smell? Thanks in advance.

Answers

By Pattie (Guest Post)

I don't know if this will solve your problem but it's worth a try. My dryer smelled as if I had burned cheese inside. My husband took off the back of the dryer and discovered lint that the moisture of the dryer had caused to cake along the inside. This is a real fire hazard as well as a smelly problem! Hope this helps solve your problem.